Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Circuit Breaker trips when key is turned to START
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gibby

United States
13 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2007 :  6:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit gibby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2001 Int'l w/BB body, DT466 engine. This bus just quits running during a route. When you turn the key to start podition the START breaker trips.I jumped out the starter and it starts but have no throttle at all. If you let it sit for an hour or so it will stsrt right up and have good throttle. Does anyone have an idea as to the problem?

Edited by - gibby on 11/05/2007 11:56:20 AM

nbates723

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  06:00:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit nbates723's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have had this happen with a few different buses. the first time, it took days to figure it out. you need a new neutral safety switch
Go to Top of Page

gibby

United States
13 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  2:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit gibby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your quick reply. I have one ordered. I was hoping for a few more replies to confirm this.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  5:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A N/S switch would cause a starting issue but you say the engine dies during a trip. You don't say what the transmission is.

I think you have other issues there but there's not enough info.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

gibby

United States
13 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2007 :  7:47:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit gibby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This bus has a Allison 2000 trans. While on a trip, you lose all throllte first then the engine quits. When you go to restart it, the START circuit breaker trips as soon as the key is turned to start position.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  04:51:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would look for a short in the wiring to the N/S switch, probably right against the transmission case.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.

Edited by - IBTMech on 11/06/2007 04:53:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

wright11

Canada
159 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  7:05:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
are there any lights or codes when this happens?????
Go to Top of Page

gibby

United States
13 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2007 :  8:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit gibby's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No lights or buzzers of any kind.
Go to Top of Page

rswboe
Top Member

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2007 :  11:22:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call Allison, there was a recall on the NSS. check the plug & see if it looks overheated or melted, it's onthe side of the trans.

Live each like it's going to be your last, one day you'll be right!
Go to Top of Page

Doug

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2007 :  10:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IBTMech is right I have a bus the same as yours and the wiring rubbed thru on the transmission case . I put a breker in and it would trip and sometimes wouldn't .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000