Enter Forum: General Interest
 Thomas Vista advantage?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Yellowhound

47 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  7:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This past weekend I saw a International Thomas Vista activity bus from the Carolinas. After looking at the bus a bit, I wondered what
makes this bus more attractive to school systems than a regular Thomas? The bus body looks the same from the entrance door back, it does have a shorter hood for increased visibility, but since the hood is so short, accessibility to the engine is greatly reduced.
We don't have Vistas around here in north GA, the first Vista I ever saw was in Florida a few years back. So I wonder, what made the vista special? What was the advantage to this bus over the standard
body/chassis combo? None of the other body manufactures offered a body like this, and I rarely see vistas around, so I also wonder if it was a good seller for Thomas? It would be great to hear from some of you who have driven the vista, because I'll probably never get the opportunity to do so.

Thanks,
Yellowhound

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  8:05:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Stay away from the Vista!

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  8:07:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be glad you don't have the opportunity to drive a Vista. I could say the only advantage to driving one is you don't hear the kids' noise in the back, with the doghouse for the engine right by your feet you don't hear anything else but the engine. You could also check the oil without lifting the hood because the dipstick was right there. The windshield leaked like a sieve. No matter WHAT the temperature we had two of them that had to have the block heater plugged in or they wouldn't start. They rode terrible and I don't think their turning radius was anything special, in fact if you cut the wheel too hard turning right (I think) it would scrape the wheel well cover (or whatever that was called).

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

poor_driver

162 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  11:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree you won't hear the kids at all. The advantage of the vista was the view and i guess it was the mixture of a conventional and a transit style bus. I didn't like them when they first came out back in 93 but towards the end (97) the looked pretty good, well except for the ones in carolina, don't really care for the dayton (spoke) wheels.
Go to Top of Page

pbfreak30

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  1:17:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have a ton of them...and there pure CRAp we still have of the 93's that are running but even 2 of our 1997's have been placed on subs because of their reliability problems and therefore bringing up 2 of the 93's back in to daily service

ARROW transportation RP..the best out there!
Go to Top of Page

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  4:29:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a few of the short ones....I've never driven one except to move them around the yard. But they got the COOLEST sounding exhaust of all our buses....that tailpipe TALKS! Reminds me of my first car ('57 Ford Fairlane) when I put the glasspacks on.

Do the full size ones have that cool exhaust sound too?
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  4:48:55 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Most of the Vistas I've seen have the DT360, DT408, or the T444E, all of which sound very unlike the Vistas in Fairfax County with the 7.3L International. You're right...those things talk LOUDLY!

=
Go to Top of Page

NWCROWN
Advanced Member

USA
461 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  10:00:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there are any Thomas Vistas at all in the Northwest.

The Vista name is also used on another crappy vehicle, built by Mitsubishi for Chrysler.
Go to Top of Page

03CV200
Top Member

United States
740 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  04:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit 03CV200's Homepage  Send 03CV200 an AOL message  Click to see 03CV200's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
In elementary school, I used to ride a 1990ish Thomas Chevy Vista. It had tinted windows, diesel engine, and air brakes. I think the engine was a Detriot. It wasn't a bad running bus, it wasn't broken down too much (maybe once ever few months for a day). It has since been traded in on newer bus. I never remember it being extremely loud.

-Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000