New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2007 :  8:16:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anybody else have school budget/board elections today? The school budget in my district was resoundingly defeated, unfortunately someone earlier had (been quoted in our local "rag" newspaper) made the comment that their budget would be basically the same whether the budget was approved or not and people didn't care for that idea.

Also in NY school bus purchases are a separate item people vote on (a dumb idea if you ask me)and that was defeated by 14 or 16 votes. Not only won't they get any new buses but the two buses they leased last year when the school bus purchase was defeated will have to go back. Plus there are two if not three buses that are going to be taken off the road. Wow. What a blow to the department. If they again lease buses it will be ten times the price of buying a bus with state aid.

Both of the incumbent school board members were defeated as well.
I get the feeling the community isn't very positive in its attitude towards the school district, don't you? I think it is a referendum on their opinion of the administrators. Maybe it is time they took stock of just what the issues are and stopped trying to maintain the status quo.

BTW, I don't work there anymore. I feel bad for the employees who are still there, things being in such an uproar is not good for their fragile morale.

Edited by - mlkdrives41 on 05/16/2007 7:02:04 PM

IC
Top Member

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  7:33:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It works differently here....the public does not directly vote on the school budget.

The Superintendant of Schools submits a proposed budget to the (elected) school board, which then submits the request the the real powers that be...the (also elected) County Board of Supervisors. They are haggling over the FY 2008 budget right now. The Superintendant has requested 2.2 Billion dollars for FY 2008...a 100 Million dollar increase over FY 2007.

The public does vote directly on bond issues...like, for example...a 40 million dollar renovation of a high school. School bond issues are ALWAYS approved by the voters....education is very, very big around here.

Buses are kind of a minor thing in the budget....the 100 or so new buses purchased every year cost less than 10 million dollars, a mere pittance in a budget of over 2 Billion dollars.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  7:55:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mlk,

In my part of the state, all the districts made out very well, including all the bus props. I was quite surprised to see the results, only a couple of districts had items defeated, and not by much.

Go to Top of Page

mlkdrives41
Top Member

USA
2055 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  04:19:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem in our area is Public Access Television. There are these guys who get on there and rant and rave about how the school is sticking it to the taxpayers and people actually tune in to see this. Unbelievable. There is one guy who came up from Long Island (if there is anyone here from Long Island, thanks a bunch) who harangues the administrators unmercifully and just knows enough of the actual facts to be dangerous. Other districts in the area had a higher increase than our district and their budgets passed.

This has been going on for several years and the taunter doesn't offer alternative solutions just negativity and people listen to it.

Nothing great has ever been accomplished without enthusiasm!
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2007 :  04:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mlk,

My district's transportation department's budget passed with no problems, sorry to hear yours didn't. I do believe that the buses are voted on seperatley as well, We will be getting 4 new 2009(?) Blue Bird Visions 2 43 pass and a 65 passenger and a 60 passenger W/C bus.

bluebirdvision

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000