Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2000 t444e no start cold
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rg307

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  08:21:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit rg307's Homepage  Reply with Quote
won't start under 65-70degrees. After reaching operating temp, will start & run fine all day. When cranking cold, get flash code 525. Do not get code after warmed up. Have ck'd ECM, injector harnesses. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

contactbluebird

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  1:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit contactbluebird's Homepage  Click to see contactbluebird's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
can't seem to locate a code 525 inside my manual...
Go to Top of Page

rg307

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  2:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit rg307's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's ATA code SID 254 FMI 6. Injector driver circuit fault. What I don't understand is why it is temparature related. Everything cold-start related ck's out fine.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  04:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you have checked the harness and it is OK, I would go the main connectors on the ECU, clean the contacts with a good electrical contact cleaner that is *safe* to use on *plastic*. Test it too :) Do both the ECU terminals and the connectors. Dry them off and reapply dielectric grease. Do other connectors while you are in there especially the at the valve cover gaskets.
Have run across this before. Temperature causes the terminal to expand and contract. Fine one minute, not the next.

Definitely worth a try before faulting the injector.
Go to Top of Page

jeepcjron
Advanced Member

USA
262 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  6:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
glow plug harness issue under the v/c? 525 is as stated harness issue. active or inactive?

its like a slinky! useless but fun to watch.
Go to Top of Page

rg307

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  06:12:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit rg307's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ck'd both inj harnesses. 525 is only active when cranking cold. If I keep the bus inside overnite, starts up fine with no eng warn light and no codes. Passes the "engine off" injector test when cold. But, obviously you can't do the eng running test cold. Unless you know of a way to trick it into thinking its cold. (maybe jump a temp switch?).
Go to Top of Page

ModMech
Top Member

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2007 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit ModMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
525 codes indicate the the injectors are not responding as the ECM/IDM thinks they should.

The very first thing to try is to change the oil. These engines MUST use good quality API CI-4 / SAE 15W-40 oil (at the temperatures in this topic). Use of lower quality oils WILL impact cold-startability as you describe.

If there is no change after changing oil, and the problem persists with no wiring issues detected (you MUST run the KOEO injector tests to verify), then the repair is shimming the injector coils or injector replacement.

If you want customer service, you NEED an International!
Go to Top of Page

TC2000lover

Costa Rica
4 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit TC2000lover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Some months ago I had a similar problem and I fixed it changing the Solenoid starter switch. Maybe you can try it
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000