New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  11:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, I am working on a 95 Vista and have some bad tires to change. I have 295 75r 22.5 on there now. I have saw them with 10s. Will 11r 22.5s fit? Or will they rub those front fenders? Also this bus has a problem with the rear domes, are they on a delay or maybe I have a junk switch. They take a second or 2 to illuminate.

It's like working on an import without a service manual.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  2:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Repair procedure for ALL Thomas Vista buses:

Obtain five gallons of gasoline, pour all through vista, light match, walk away.

UGH...had three vistas, which tied with the three MVP-EFs for the worst buses we ever had award.

Sorry I don't have any answers for your questions other than to tell you to check the anti-feedback diode for the interior lights, those things failed on me a few times.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2006 :  4:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Those vistas are a test of the will everytime our mechanics will be glad to see them go away
I am sure.We have one that runs completely bented down the road.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2006 :  11:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the International Vistas the 11R22.5 tire will work and it will also rub a hole in the inner fender skirt. All of ours have been switched over (about 40 busses)
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  04:24:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by raytobe

All of ours have been switched over (about 40 busses)

You have 40 of those things!?! I'm sorry.
Go to Top of Page

bsaund09
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2006 :  08:23:39 AM  Show Profile  Send bsaund09 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We have 15 of them from '95 and 4 short ones I understand the down time is huge because of the way the motor is position.I like the way they handle but the heat from the motor on a hot day is very intense.

keep those buses rolling
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/schoolbushistory
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  4:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

quote:
Originally posted by raytobe

All of ours have been switched over (about 40 busses)

You have 40 of those things!?! I'm sorry.

They aren't so bad. Mostly the body s**ks, engines OK for the most part. We have some drivers who don't want to drive anything else.

Edited by - raytobe on 07/09/2006 4:47:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2006 :  5:17:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What engine did you get in those buses? I had T444Es in all three of them, not too bad, but not good either. Lots of computer problems, codes for options/accesories they don't have...fun stuff.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  5:51:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Doncha just luv it when you get fault codes for options you don't have!! The driver goes into a tailspin over a non-problem!

I'd like to drag some of those engineers out in the field for a while........

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird62
Top Member

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  5:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually I love it just as much when it comes back with two faults and they're both unknown!

We had a Vista, but it only lasted for about six years. The drivers refused to drive it and it was falling apart, so they got rid of it.
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman
Advanced Member

USA
301 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2006 :  6:35:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had one that we bought around 6 years ago, it was a 1994 with a DTA 360. Never had a good experience. Paid $6,000 for it and I believe it had 110,000 miles. Would never go over 50 mph, no matter what we did.

The first week, we had it, somone ran it into this railroad tressle in town, knocked the mirrors off the left side and broke the windows out by the drivers door.

Around a year after we got it, I had it in the garage putting a set of new kingpins in, and when I started it, I noticed it had a terrible knocking sound, upon further investigating, I found a scraping piston, which put a merciful end to our vista experience.

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  07:42:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I have problems with the vandal locks! The door hardware was so stiff from lack of maintence we cleaned out the dirt/rust and lubed them. Worked great, doors open/shut good. Now I have an intermittant NO Crank/start. I guess I will be looking for a diagram, I also noticed that they work different from the "birds" that I am used to. I'm just trying to get this heap through inspection for my customer. Why did I take it in in the first place??? Ol' Rob needs the $$$.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  1:04:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH...do you have that WONDERFUL vandal lock that is just a metal pin attached to a cable? Slide it into a slot on the door latch and it's locked? SUPPOSEDLY it grounds something and prevents the bus from starting... One vista had those, we never knew that it was till the highway patrol flunked it for being able to start with the door locked. We cut it off and about a year later the vista noticed it was missing and thought it was locked so it refused to start from time to time. Here's how to fix that:

Take those vandal locks off and throw them in the trash. Next, run a wire DIRECTLY from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid(well...keep the Neutral Safety Switch in there). Those stupid Vista things have two or three relays hidden under a panel sort of below the gearshift. I bet you can guess how we fixed those!!! *see above*

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 07/11/2006 1:24:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  2:00:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

What engine did you get in those buses? I had T444Es in all three of them, not too bad, but not good either. Lots of computer problems, codes for options/accesories they don't have...fun stuff.

We have the 466 sixes in them. Also on the tire rubbing, I went out and rechecked and the 95s have *no* clearance problems with the larger tire-- the 92s will rub on the inner fender skirt when turning sharply and eventually drag it down unless you reinforce the mounting.

Edited by - raytobe on 07/13/2006 2:23:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  6:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bypassing the vandalock interlock system is against the law in this state and will get your bus deadlined and get the mechanic in deep doo doo. Best to fix those misadjusted switches and follow the rules.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  8:51:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IBTMech

Bypassing the vandalock interlock system is against the law in this state and will get your bus deadlined and get the mechanic in deep doo doo.

Which is exactly why I said to REMOVE the vandal locks and throw them away.

If you have the barrel bolt system...it's not a bad fix, but if you have that thing I described...good luck!

Let's not forget that it's not only going to get you in trouble if you bypass an interlock...it's very dangerous!

Edited by - Thomasbus24 on 07/13/2006 02:53:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

raytobe
Advanced Member

USA
293 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  2:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit raytobe's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had a driver come in one time for a PM inspection and I found that she had tied the handle on the back door on the inside with rope so you couldn't open it from inside or out. Interesting day :-)

Edited by - raytobe on 07/13/2006 2:28:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 :  2:40:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's truely scary the things you find during PM's. I'll never forget the 1993 Thomas pusher we had, during a PM I found the rear emergency window seized shut (no surprise there), but the side door was seized so badly that it took me laying across the seats and kicking as hard as I could to get the thing to even start to open! **Sure you pretrip everyday**
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  09:41:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it is the pin/cable type. All you have to do is raise the handle about 1/2 inch and it won't start. I see some adjustment is necessary. I might just take it off all together. If I cut out the pin and you can't lock the door it will pass. Who would spend the time vandalizing a bus that was vandalized when it was built?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  11:12:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I drove some mid-80's blue bird on the rural parts of my route I found the rear door handle would move enough on bumps to set off the buzzer over and over. Finally found a cheap and fix that didn't bother the commercial vehicle enforcement people - tied a lightweight elastic band over the handle and guard. A small child could still open the rear door with ease (I had a kid try it under my supervision) and the elastic simply broke away when you lifted the handle beyong a certain point. Much better than a piece of rope with a higher breaking point.

JC
Go to Top of Page

bobsbud22

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2006 :  5:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit bobsbud22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TAKE THE 11'S

[URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2315049370099094322FQAWUC][/URL][URL=http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2187906880099094322rtYumU][/URL]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000