Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 High Idle switches and features
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

02intlbluebird

47 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2011 :  6:40:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I would create a topic for others to put their own thought in regarding high idle switches and it's purpose. I've been in a numerous amounts of buses over my time (so far) and noticed the odd setups that each manufacture comes up with. Starting with Freightliner, the left button is RPM control, then to the right is Plus and Minus RPM. What I don't get is that when you hit the control button, it slowly climbs from 700 to 1,300 without hitting the plus or minus. With an IC CE I guess you can say the 3300, it has an ON THRTL, then DECEL-THRTL-ACCEL. The way with that is that you need to push ON, Decel, then hold Accel until you get to your desired RPM which I put at 1,300. With a Thomas EF and a Blue Bird TC-2000, you hit high idle and it bumps it right up to 1,300. The only chassis I can't figure out is the International 3800 chassis.

overbyja

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2011 :  7:50:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any newer 3800 series bus I've driven idles up automatically when cold and you have to tap the brake pedal to get it to idle back down. The older ones have a lever you pull out to lock the throttle at your desired rpm.

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  10:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
International 3800 / 3900 with T444E or DT466E ..
2 ways of doing it.

1) turn throttle switch to "on" Push and hold the other switch down to "accell" until the engine revs up to the RPM you want.
2) turn throttle switch to "on" rev the engine to the point you want using the gas pedal then push " set", release the gas pedal and engine should stay at high RPM.

Pushing the brake pedal will cancel this out , since this is also used for cruise control

Some engines may be programed to only allow 1200RPM or what ever for manual throttle setting.

Robert B.

Edited by - 78fordwayne on 02/10/2011 11:01:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

02intlbluebird

47 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2011 :  11:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the Internationals I don't know how to get a high idle feature other than on it's own are 2001-2003 T444E's. I believe the two switches next to the head lights is on accel and cruise control. None of the buses I am around have the pull out throttle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/02intlbluebird

http://community.webshots.com/user/KylesBuses

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArI2R6VtTn8idGo2YW8tcGFkVWN6TVJGSG14MzB3Rmc&hl=en#gid=0
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000