Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 Rear wheel danger zone device
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SteveCof00

USA
128 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2011 :  8:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit SteveCof00's Homepage  Send SteveCof00 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Link to SBF article: Device designed to eliminate bus rear wheel danger zone gap

While the first thing to pop in my mind is the return of fender skirts, it looks like this might actually present a solution. Unlike the S-1 Gard, the MDZ Shield is a single non-moving part that doesn't look like it needs periodic replacement. Its visibility also calls attention to the danger zones around the rear wheels.

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  3:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't exactly understand how it makes things safer. Is it supposed to push a child aside if they're under the bus in front of the rear axle and it starts moving? Are the tires a specific blind spot, so the area around them needs to be beefed up?

I can see those things getting broken all the time where there's snow (whether they're pushed through a snow bank, the bus drives over a chunk of hard snow/ice, etc.).
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2011 :  5:29:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Thomas EF

I don't exactly understand how it makes things safer. Is it supposed to push a child aside if they're under the bus in front of the rear axle and it starts moving? Are the tires a specific blind spot, so the area around them needs to be beefed up?

I can see those things getting broken all the time where there's snow (whether they're pushed through a snow bank, the bus drives over a chunk of hard snow/ice, etc.).

Agreed. That device is just going to get caught on things. How often are we running over kids with our rear wheels anyway? Off hand, I can think of one instance within the last couple years in CT where the rear wheels ran over a child, and it was a backing accident in a bus lot, and when going in reverse, this device would be of no use anyway. Watch your mirrors and don't move your bus if within 10' of students!

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2011 :  4:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a solution:

1. Ensure mirrors are properly adjusted according to FMVSS regulations.

2. Drivers need to check their mirrors each and every time before leaving any bus stop where passengers were loaded/unloaded from the bus. I've observed numerous drivers who check their mirrors right after leaving bus stops.

3. Train, train, train... Train your students to stay away from the danger zones around the school bus.
Go to Top of Page

2011 Thomas HDX

3 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2011 :  5:29:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This contraption is bound to get caught on every curb in town, not to mention the pillars and curbs in the bus loop at every school on the route. Second, it just looks ridiculous. The shop would need to keep plenty of replacement shields on-hand as I can foresee these shields being damaged on a regular basis. I think driver awareness, training and student training are better options to minimize danger zones.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000