School Bus Equipment
 Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 need to start a t444 for swap
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bulletLS1

5 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2011 :  08:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit bulletLS1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, this is my first post!!!

my interest is that since I have a hobby that is gasoline intensive, I have an RV, a Fleetwood Southwind 1989, with a chevy 454 carburated and a 400 HD tranny, wheight of the vehicle is little past 12K#, rear end is dana 70 5.10 (or something close) and use 8r 19.5 tires. have overhauled the carb (rochester), Hperf distribuitor, from summit Racing, long tube headers, big exhaust, cold air intake, and Im getting 9-10mpg.

found an exelent and very cheap T444 (A175F) from a low mileage, (I think from a thomas snub nose) the flywheel was from a manual transmision. it came as a cut from the firewall forward, so it came with all rads and metal hoses, found the IDM (NAVISTAR 5D07, 1807248C3. BAR CODE # ZZS00TVU) and the wiring loom was ok, a few cut wires but nothing serious... UNFORTUNATELLY, did not came with ECM, nor throttle pedal, instrument panel (or the dreaded SES light for that mater).

The objective is to: first start it and throttle freely, THEN to transplant the engine (I dont want to waste time and a good gas motor in the swap if I could not start the engine first) mated to an allison trany 545 (I liked the close ratio 5 sp, unfortunatelly only 1:1 final drive ratio) I have also acces to hyd converter and flywheel, gas pedal, but have NO IDEA of what number to buy for the ECM, I hope I can get away without the need to buy an instrument panel, also can fab myself all the motor muonts (own a metal shop).

the thing is that in our region the diesel is subsidized (sp?) and the cost is about 25% LESS than reg gas, so if my goal of getting 16-18MPG Ill be getting cost per mile less than HALF than gas....

Im not doing this expecting a "return of my investment" more of a mechanical exercise, "wrenching therapy", and personal pride!!!!!

would you guys help me with my crazy adventure???!!!!

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2011 :  6:00:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You're not going to get 16-18 mpg out of a 444. I've got a 7.3 Powerstroke (444) in a small E-350 cargo van and the best I'll do with that is 16. I usually average around 15. If you put it in a RV it's down from there. I'd say you're realistically looking at 10-12 given the weight of your vehicle. The best I've done with any of my buses (all my buses have had 360's) was 11 mpg on the highway and that was with an 8 row mini bus. Around town, most big buses usually do 7-9, but they weigh a bit more than your camper.

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000