New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  08:58:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought you might be interested in this story that shares the benefits of using bus drivers as mechanics' helpers. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/article/721499/6-benefits-of-utilizing-a-driver-as-a-mechanic-s-helper

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  10:02:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We utilize between 15 and 30 bus drivers in our shop. They work on our two service bays doing maintenance and safety inspections, do test drives with a mechanic, move buses around, assist our A/V team, operate our bus wash, and do general cleanup and floor cleaning. None work directly with a technician on major repairs, just the maintenance. They rotate a new "crew" in monthly so it gets spread around. It's worked well for us.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  10:04:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Here in Ontario, you must be a licensed mechanic or a registered apprentice to do almost anything on any vehicle. We may get a driver to paint bumpers, wheels, touch up paint on body, patch seats, replace seat covers and clean interior and exterior of bus, but that is about all they are allowed to do, no repairs.
Go to Top of Page

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  11:20:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What's the deal with the guy's shirt in the top photo?
We're a small 8 bus school with 1 mechanic (me) and I utilize the help of a driver on a daily basis. Works well for us.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  1:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

Interesting. Here in Ontario, you must be a licensed mechanic or a registered apprentice to do almost anything on any vehicle. We may get a driver to paint bumpers, wheels, touch up paint on body, patch seats, replace seat covers and clean interior and exterior of bus, but that is about all they are allowed to do, no repairs.

Let me clarify, the drivers do things like check tire pressures, change light bulbs or lights, check oil and fluids, fill washer reservoirs, etc.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  2:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

Sounds like Canada is worse than Illinois! Yikes!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  3:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As long as the driver was mechanically inclined and competent I could see it being beneficial. Otherwise, I just see it as adding liability to an already high risk job. Especially working in the wonderful sue happy state of California!
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  04:12:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 59 buses with just me the technician and a driver as a helper. He has been a helper here for 6 years now. He does my lubes and fluid changes, seats, some inspections and other little things.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  05:27:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

I have 59 buses with just me the technician and a driver as a helper. He has been a helper here for 6 years now. He does my lubes and fluid changes, seats, some inspections and other little things.

Holy flooded with school buses, Batman! How on earth do you guys keep that many going with just the three of you?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  06:14:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:
Originally posted by RonF

Holy flooded with school buses, Batman! How on earth do you guys keep that many going with just the three of you?

It's just 2 of us. I will say because I have a good preventive maintenance program and I work 10 hours a day.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  06:26:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can hardly keep up with 17 units and all the comings and goings of the drivers! If your school doesn't appreicate you, they should!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000