Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 water in fuel on visons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

309bus

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  08:40:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit 309bus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have had lots of problems this winter on some of our visons.Some have had multiple filters since first of year,have drained tanks,rerouted vents and checked our supply tanks for water all seem good.this is not small amounts 3 to 4 oz. enough to freeze them up.this is up in n.minn. so it is colder temps.

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  10:08:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they are mounted on the frame by the rear wheel relocate them to the firewall on the left side and they will stay warm.
We did this to all ten of our buses and have not had anymore problems.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2017 :  11:47:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure it's water? I'm thinking DEF.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  06:13:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not to hijack a Thread but has anyone had this happen to an AA front engine bus? late models. We had one that gave me fits this year with water freezing in the water separator bowl. bowl would be full of ice.Heater worked as it should.
ED
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  06:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a couple of IC's that the vent valve corroded away due to salt on the roads, then allowing water in the tank.
We had a 2011 Vision, just before I started here they said they kept getting WIF. The filter was at the rear axle so they moved it up to the firewall where they mount them now and said that cured the problem. We also have 4 other 2011 visions with the filter still at the rear axles that were never moved, no problems with them.
First thing I check when excessive WIF is the top of the tank for any means of entry.
Go to Top of Page

309bus

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit 309bus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
these all ready have filter on firewall. why would it be def? Had to go get one this am. spin new filter on and runs fine.Filter full ice crystals
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  07:24:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DEF in the fuel would mean someone is putting DEF in the fuel tank. DEF is 66% water. If that's not the case, then it sounds like you have a problem with water in the tanks where ever your getting fuel from.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  07:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or you have a vandalism issue. Happened to us on a wrestling trip. He or she must have dumped 2 gallons of water in the fuel tank.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  07:52:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who fuels the buses? WHo puts in the DEF?
When you said you drained the tanks, how much water was in them?
A friend works at a Ford dealership, he gets several unit a year where owners believe the DEF goes in the fuel tank with the diesel, usually causes injector problems also.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  08:13:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hank Hill would remind us that purposefully/accidentally putting the wrong fluid in a propane tank is next to impossible. "taste the meat not the heat"

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 03/13/2017 08:15:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  08:37:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

A friend works at a Ford dealership, he gets several unit a year where owners believe the DEF goes in the fuel tank with the diesel, usually causes injector problems also.

The same people who bought the truck because "It's just so cute/awesome"?
Go to Top of Page

iceracer

32 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2017 :  6:03:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit iceracer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are also in MN (NE), and we run some Visions. I have seen my share of WIF with them, but it was really minimized when we put in our own fuel stations, and 1 provider for all our locations. I still get water in separator, but I can manage it better by draining separator at every service, and treat fuel with isopropyl to soak up moisture.

The reason for it? I have not found the answer, other than being in total control of our fuel.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  05:44:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iceracer

We are also in MN (NE), and we run some Visions. I have seen my share of WIF with them, but it was really minimized when we put in our own fuel stations, and 1 provider for all our locations. I still get water in separator, but I can manage it better by draining separator at every service, and treat fuel with isopropyl to soak up moisture.

The reason for it? I have not found the answer, other than being in total control of our fuel.

Being in total control of your fuel is ideal! However, with as much H2O as he is seeing there has to be something else going on. Especially seeing as how he has already checked his fuel source. Just sounds like someone is putting DEF in the fuel to me.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

309bus

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  07:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit 309bus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We do have our own joint gov. fuel fac. with all the water sensors in tanks and are sticked reg. sales Rep for B.B. seems to acknowledge with out admiting they have issues.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  07:32:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 309bus

We do have our own joint gov. fuel fac. with all the water sensors in tanks and are sticked reg. sales Rep for B.B. seems to acknowledge with out admiting they have issues.

Humm

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  09:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How often do you replace or drain separator as part of a schedule maintenance?
Go to Top of Page

309bus

United States
5 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2017 :  06:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit 309bus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
change normally once a year or as mileage goes. some of these have been 3-5 times since 1st of year
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.51 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000