Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 A/C belt squeal
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  3:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello, I have an 05 IC RE DT 466. Problem is the belt is squealing whenever the driver turns on the A/C. The belt is a serpentine belt and the only one on the engine. Driver reports there is no squeal once the A/C is off. Already changed the belt once and tested all the pulleys. Also changed the tensioner. Thought it might be the wrong belt but am using the same aftermarket one that my predecessors used. The A/C system is aftermarket as well. Any ideas?

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  03:29:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try a different brand of belt

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  03:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeeptjken

try a different brand of belt

Agreed.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  04:15:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put the guages on it to make sure the pressures are within specs. If there is a block in the system the high pressure will be too high causing the compressor to over work.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  05:41:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Your belt is slipping. I would check your pressures as Ryan said. You could also try another brand, we use the Gates HD's, or it could be your belt's just a bit too long, not letting the tensioner apply full pressure. What belt is it and I'll see if I can find you a number for one that's just a bit shorter?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  06:44:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All A/C systems on buses are after market. There should be a tag on the bus somewhere that has the belt number on it. If not, call the company that made the system and they should be able to tell you what belt it has. I would say, as others here have, you are having issues with the system though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  07:52:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the responses. The belt is a Napa 25-081189HD that is on it. Tried to fit the next size lower on the Napa belts and it would not go on Big Papa. Got in contact with TK and they are trying to find the belt as well. A/C system is working well. Pressures are normal. Took bus out on run with A/C off and the belt started to squeal. (Not that I don't trust the drivers. HA!) Thanks again for the advice!
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2017 :  08:01:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From that part number it looks like NAPA belts are made by Gates whos number for that belt is K081189HD. IT is 119.5" long, next one down is K081177HD at 118.25" long.

How much of the compressor clutch pulley does the belt contact? Look at it like a clock. Does it touch 6 hours of the pulley? 8 hours?

Edited by - BigPapa on 03/16/2017 08:03:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

mrpicky

123 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2017 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit mrpicky's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would say 6 hours on the left one five on the right. They sit side by side with the left one higher than the right. Facing the compressors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000