New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  10:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bus is having some problems. It smells very very bad, like something is burning. My water temp gauge is reading a solid 0. One person I spoke to who drove my bus on a charter said the bus is okay and the smell is something else, and the water temp gauge is broken. He said not to worry about it. Okay fine and dandy, but why should i have to choke on the smell from driving?? The person who took my bus said it's antifreeze burning, that's the smell. It's a rear engine, why would i smell anti freeze up front?
Any suggestions on what I can do? How does he know that my water temp guage is broken? He's not a mechanice. My water temp guage has always been normal at 180 ish or so. Now i have to suffer with the nasty burning smell that chokes me???? What can I do????????

How do I check the water temp / amount myself?? If i complain most likely the yard helper will think im crazy but---When my water gauge was normal - No buring smell, now that it reads 0, a burning smell..Doesn't that say something ?

Help!@

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  10:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get another bus, the year is almost over, and your bus is having a lot of problems..... that's the way to end all your frustration!

Go to Top of Page

Bus11

United States
170 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  11:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Bus11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
96 Amtran RE -

It sounds like you have an antifreeze leak somewhere, could be a heater connection or heater. It also could be near the engine somewhere and the fumes are just traveling with the breeze. If the system is low enough the temp gauge won't read accurately, but if it's that low engine damage is possible! It should be checked/repaired ASAP before something worse develops. And you should always worry when a gauge stops working until you know why. BTW - you don't check your own fluid levels? Who does?

Good luck - Marshall

Wandering around the mountains in a 95 Thomas/Ford -
Wishing for a C2 !!
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  11:42:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's common for the heater core, lines, or connections in the front dash area to leak causing a strong ordor. As Bus11 says check it ASAP.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Chock Wheels For Life
Proud American For Life
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  12:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by R. Solano

Get another bus, the year is almost over, and your bus is having a lot of problems..... that's the way to end all your frustration!

Easier said than done!

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  1:51:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Any suggestions on what I can do?"

96A,
I would write up a work order stating the gauge is not reading normal, and I would state there is a hot smell coming from the front. The smell coming from the front could be a leaking heater core, or it could be related to the gauge not working, both, or something altogether different. Seems pretty straight forward to me...you do have work orders?
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2004 :  2:21:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Write it up. If the yard helper will think you're crazy, so be it. Better to get it fixed now while it's something minor than wait until it becomes a major problem.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

Matt Kirsch

8 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2004 :  1:10:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's not a mechanic. You're not either, right? Why freak out about it? Take it to a mechanic.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000