Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 ford/wayne questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leftlanewannabe

15 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2003 :  06:33:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys brand new member here. a little back ground, i just got my first bus a 1985 ford 700 with a wayne lifegaurd, 370 2v gas, 4 speed auto with air brakes. there was an a/c system that used these long black ducts with coils inside and several vents that you can point. this system never worked right according to the origional owner and has since been replaced by 2 rooftop units and a genset. a couple of qustions: did the factory air buses have insulated coachs? my roof and sides below the windows are not slick, look more like the inside of a walk in freezer. are these ducts and coils worth anything? i am either going to remove them or make storage out of them. and if i remove them am i likely to find whats under them unfinished? i also could use some wiring diagrams for this bus as my temp gauge is not working. thanks in advance for any input you may have to offer.

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  3:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chances are the a/c was installed either at the factory or by the bus dealer in a bus body that was no different than any other Wayne bus. There should be no issue with removing them other than paint discoloration or possibly the lack of paint depending on Wayne's paint process and at what point in manufacture the vents were installed. The only things I would watch out for is whether the a/c ducts are part of the racks that may or may not be installed in the bus- they often go hand in hand. As far as value, some bus nut may be interested in them if they are adding a/c to their old school bus. Overall, they are not worth more than scrap metal. I would possibly keep them, and when I had my roof units fail, I would consider replacing them with roof units that are ducted and use the existing duct system to better distribute the air. There is no doubt that bus a/c systems are not good systems- once you have a problem with them, it is downhill from there. Rooftops and generator is the best option in my opinion!
Go to Top of Page

RD9000

72 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  5:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't realize how long ago this was posted! lol But if you happen to still have your ducts and aren't too far from Oklahoma, I may be interested ;) The other point I would make is reducing unused equipment on your bus does equate to less weight. Loose enough weight, and you may see an increase in performance and fuel mileage... maybe ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000