Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Faded Paint
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusChaperone

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  1:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusChaperone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is the paint on your bus faded? If you say yes I say maybe. Paint gloss is the paints shine and that can be subjective. Each person will physically see paint reflection and gloss differently with one person seeing a bus badly faded and another seeing gloss. When paint fade issues arise the bus manufacture will use a gloss meter to see if the paint gloss falls within there warranty and state spec's for gloss. Gloss readings need to be above 30 @ 60 degree in order for the paint to be classified as National school bus Glossy yellow (Originally called National School Bus Chrome because the pigment used for this color was, for a long time, the lead-containing chrome yellow.)
My point of this post is to encourage transportation departments to buy a 60 degree angle gloss meter. They can be purchased online at Ebay for under 200 dollars from Hong Kong. Or order from a local dealer and pay six to one thousand dollars for the same exact thing! With a gloss meter you will be able to tell if your bus is truly faded and you can debate objections from the manufacture or anyone without a meter.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  2:14:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, but your goofier than a pet coon! If my hoods are faded (which they have been) I buy a good compound and use a buffing machine to bring back the luster. Good products will have both the buffing compound and a wax or similar to hold the shine. I don't need a machine to tell me if the dog gone things are faded out!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  4:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bet ya we will have a link to this fabulous meter within hours!

Yellow fades, all the bus makers have problems, get over it. I know my 06 AAFEs looks TERRIBLE parked next to anything, even the 1992 TC!
Go to Top of Page

BusChaperone

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2012 :  6:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusChaperone's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Professionals will understand the problems with paint fade,clear coat peel on hoods and other paint issues and they know what this meter is used for. They will also appreciate I found a seller other then myself that sell these for a very low cost. Polish and wax is not intended to be used on dead paint (read the instructions) but they are met to maintain new paint.If they meet your needs thats great.

Premium Bus Coatings
http://www.crystalshieldsystems.com/
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  03:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a school bus, a utility vehicle for intents and purposes, 95% of those who own them really don't care if it fades as long as it passes inspection and is safe.

I like my fleet to look good, it sends a positive impression to the tax payers, but there is no way I will spend their money on a fade meter or a complete paintjob unless the bus is not going to be roadworthy otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  04:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a service related forum...not a sales related forum. I can tell a dull hood just fine.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2012 :  04:54:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to pay extra for the "lusterless yellow" hood to reduce glare, we just park them outside, preferably headed south

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Offroadwolf

41 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  08:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Offroadwolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Im with ya bwest. I have 3 C-2's and some internationals all with faded hoods. Spent sometime over the summer and buffed, polished, and waxed them. Look like brand new again. And some of these are almost 10 years old. And wow didnt need a 1000 dollar meter to tell it looked good or bad. Bus looks brand new again!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  11:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Offroadwolf

Im with ya bwest. I have 3 C-2's and some internationals all with faded hoods. Spent sometime over the summer and buffed, polished, and waxed them. Look like brand new again. And some of these are almost 10 years old. And wow didnt need a 1000 dollar meter to tell it looked good or bad. Bus looks brand new again!

I did the same thing with some old B7 Chevys. I have the best looking fleet around. That is if the district doesn't trade every 3 to 5 years like some do around here.

I guess this guys is telling us we are not professionals. Sounds like a slam to me. He also thinks we are as gullible as he is when he says "I found a seller other than myself"

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2012 :  3:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quote: "Professionals will understand the problems with paint fade,clear coat peel on hoods and other paint issues and they know what this meter is used for. They will also appreciate I found a seller other then myself that sell these for a very low cost."

Really? Chinese stuff for 20% of what you would normally expect to pay?? Sonny, professionals know better...That's like buying a $100 slack adjuster for $20. What could possibly go wrong?
Go to Top of Page

Offroadwolf

41 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2012 :  2:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Offroadwolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It did sound like a slam bwest. But as you know us poor unprofessional techs are too busy worrying about our fleet rolling down the road as safe as possible with zero failures to have time worry about how glossy they are. Some rubbing compound and elbow grease fixes all of that.
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  11:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can a school bus be faded enough to be illegal? That's what the OP seems to be implying, that we all need a meter to make sure our gloss is in compliance. Wouldn't put it past the NTSB to have a rule about it...

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  12:58:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think only a Marysville, Ohio built Wayne could fade bad enough to be illegal, most of those things were darn near white towards the end of life, but life has ended for most of those already. Maybe they are still running them in the OP's country? HAHAHA!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf0r
Top Member

USA
2181 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  2:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We just check a paint sample with our discount chromatography equipment.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tell you what - when I think of gloss meters, I always think of http://www.gloss-meters.com/ - why buy from anyone but the experts?

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  03:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WELL! If a few people in white lab coats use them, they must be good! Count me in...I'm going to order three.
Go to Top of Page

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  3:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmmmmm.... hard to find someone who gives a s*** here.....

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000