question about newjursey school bus rules
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  12:00:45 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I hope i spelled tht right...here is the question ..in NewJursey is there railroad crossings and if so are school buses required to stop at them and if so has there always been railroad tract and have you always been required to stop at the.?

reason..i know of a contract manager that moved from there to il. tht says they din't have tracts there ....... sounds fishy tome

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  12:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All school buses have to stop at every active railroad crossing in each state. You must stop between 15 and 50 feet before the railroad tracks.

Perhaps the general area the contract manager you know moved to isn't near any mainline railroads. There are no railroad tracks in my part of town either.
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  12:28:00 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
see that is what we , those of us that actually heard her say this ,thought but we would like to hear from some one that actully lives in that state for sure...i lived in K.C. MO. For many years and there ther tract were either underground, overhead, or routed around the city but there were still AM tract tracts. in the down town area. and i can not see any state or town saying you don't have to stop at tracts .some of these trains come so fast...it is very scary...so anyone from New Jursey please relpy

Driving my way to the top, in a big yellow bus...and proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  4:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I thought it was a federal standard about railway crossings and school buses?? In South Carolina, we are required to stop at all railway crossings as long as the tracks are visible through the pavement no matter if they are used or not.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2003 :  5:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It is a federal law, I have heard of that in some states you aren't required to stop if the bus does not have passengers on, but with passengers you must stop.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

mzanchelli

95 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  06:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it amazes me at the spelling and grammar some people use on this site! Its's New JERSEY LOL
Go to Top of Page

mzanchelli

95 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  06:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok ok and i typed one too many s's in the previous post - sorry.....LOL
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  07:04:56 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In South Carolina, you are required to stop at ALL railway crossings no matter if you have students on board or not. That might change, but I don't think it will. The only thing that has changed in South Carolina with railway crossings is that we do not have to secure the bus unless a train is coming. Before this, we were required to secure the bus at all times with stopping at a railway crossing. I still find my self securing the bus anyway - out of habit. The district I drive for now has no railway crossings unless we go on a field trip.
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  2:34:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First off, you need to spell New Jersey like this...lol
When I was a kid I lived in New Jersey and I remember riding the bus and it stopped at the Rail Road tracks!
Like BusKid said all School Buses are required to stop at R/R tracks!

Your Child's Safety is Our Business
Go to Top of Page

busmonkey

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  3:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in the upper state of Montana it is required to stop at a railroad crossing with or without passengers and even if you think the crossing has been abanded. We are also required to us hazard lights and open the drivers window and the entrance door before crossing.
Its amazing because I road on a coach bus privatly owned who hired out to take these kids to a church camp. Well I road on the bus with the kids and this driver did not stop at rail road crossings entering a town and did not stop at one in the middle of town. I then questioned him about it and he said he is not required to stop at SECONDARY crossings, what a joke a railroad crossing is a railroad crossing. I then called dot and double checked with them. Since he is hiring out you then are no longer private and you need to follow dot regulations. You must stop if you transport passengers.

busmonkey
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  4:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Ohio, all buses have to stop at all railroad crossings (unless they're specifically signed as EXEMPT) whether passengers are on board or not. Here's where it gets a little silly--if there are railroad crossing signs but no tracks, we're STILL required to stop.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  5:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
<Brooklyn Accent>

So, what'z dis about Noo Joisey?

</Brooklyn accent>

Anyways... LOL

Yep. It's a Federal Requirement. All school buses have to stop at ALL RR crossings.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net

Edited by - Steven A.Rosenow on 06/18/2003 5:31:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2003 :  5:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
<Brooklyn Accent>

So, what'z dis about Noo Joisey?

</Brooklyn accent>

LMAO!

Go to Top of Page

american busing 2
Advanced Member

322 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  03:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Send american busing 2 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yo dont dis brooklyn

HAVE A GREAT SUMMER.
GOOD LUCK IN THE 2006-2007 SCHOOL YEAR
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2003 :  08:01:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by american busing 2

yo dont dis brooklyn

It's not a dis to Brooklyn, it's a joke based on their accents. I live in New York, so I would say when it's actually a dis.

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  05:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Superior83

Here's where it gets a little silly--if there are railroad crossing signs but no tracks, we're STILL required to stop.

Yes, I know that well. We had a crossing in the district I used to drive for with this sort of situation. The tracks on the main road had been paved over, however, the signs and lights were still up and there were tracks on each side. We still had to stop. Do you know how many people cussed at us and thought we had lost our minds? People don't realize that the drivers are following regulations. Its like with the CSA (Child Safety Alarm) that is installed on our newer buses. We have to sit an extra 9 seconds at each stop for a beeper to make its cycle. We sit there with just hazard lights on - people have no clue what we are doing, so they flip us off, cuss us out - whatever. Sigh.......... I hope the day comes when they discontinue the CSA. I hate it.

Danny
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  7:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Say, does anyone have the problem of motorists stopping for your bus that is stopped at a railroad crossing? The hazards are on, but not the warning lights, and those motorists still stop for the bus! I think they are confused. Some of them may be the same ones that go through the red warning lamps at an actual bus stop!!

I have had this problem a few times while I have been training for my license and have had to end up waving the motorists through. Not sure if any of you have experienced something similar. This also happens when my hazards are activated while waiting my turn to go in a construction zone.
Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  8:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B.Busguy33,

Yep. That happens to me all the time. Its amazing how people will stop for hazard lights, but yet they don't for the warning lights and a stop arm staring them in the face.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2003 :  07:21:54 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I drove for our other district, I had several RR crossings that I went through on my Alternative School Route. Motorists would stop beside the bus or on the other lane while stopped for the RR crossing. As others said, they will run the red lights and stop arm. Even when I am making a left hand turn with just my signal on, I have cars that will stop. However, I do feel that the motoring public are not clearly informed of all of our procedures. Never have I seen public service announcements on TV here about buses. Nor have I seen mailings about school buses. I believe if there was more public information about school bus procedures, it would help. Our local news station did a special last week about cracking down on aggressive drivers. Never once did they mention school buses. I am in the process of editing and proofreading an email I am sending to them about "Aggressive Drivers Verses School Buses," in forming them of our procedures and the problems we deal with.
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  7:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
ok. so i have heard for all over the usa.. that is so cool to interact with all of you from everywhere.....but are any of you a driver in new jersey...or do you know some one there that can give a factual answer to that question..cause this now boss lady is just to much....i mean no one buys that crap at all...is there railroad tracts in new jersey and do school buses have to stop, she said there aee no tracts in jersey...so they are not required tostop at them.

Driving my way to the top, in a big yellow bus...and proud of it.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  7:37:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Macon Driver,

Your boss is a dope, at least with her New Jersey laws.

EVERY SCHOOL BUS IN THE NATION is required to stop at railroad tracks. Some states even require stopping at railroad crossings without the "RXR" signs, or so I've heard.

New Jersey has many railroad tracks. Perhaps where she grew up there weren't any.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  7:41:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can even back it up with an example, from Montvale, New Jersey:

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 06/28/2003 :  7:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are most definitely railroad tracks in New Jersey. I have been on them while riding Amtrak — and, believe me, I know Amtrak. That's the only way I travel; plus, Railroad Operations is my double major in college along with Business.

As it has been stated many times before, it is FEDERAL LAW that ALL SCHOOL BUSES [CARRYING PASSENGERS] MUST STOP AT ALL ACTIVE (and in some cases, non-active) RAILROAD CROSSINGS.
Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  07:54:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Macondriver call the 1-800 5376224 this is the toll free number for Operation Life Saver. They are the most knowegeable people on Rail Roads and School Bus Law. or you can go to http://www.oli.org

I just double checked the link in my post and it does work.

Edited by - Stevebus42 on 06/29/2003 07:57:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000