New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  7:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yesterday I visited the Thomas dealer and checked out some of the new Thomas/Freightliners with the exterior access compartment, newly designed dash (HDX-style), and re-worked control panel. I thought Thomas did a good job, but a few things made me slightly uneasy:

1.) The Thomas wiring covers above windows--- ALL PLASTIC! Boy, what a disappointment! The plastic wasn't even heavy, crappy plastic, which you could probably crack with a punch.

2.) Control panel: switch installation. The switches were slightly uneven, and not straight... could be rushed installation, or a new bug to work out?

3.) Door handle: easy to open, a challenge to close. Rubber on doors rubbing and sticking, too much tension on the handle. (Bret [Thomas 86a])told me this can be adjusted, especially for new buses.

4.) Wiper control placement: Almost out of the way, they put the AM/FM radio in place of the usual position.

Otherwise, I think they did a fine improvement, especially the dash and wiring compartment.

If anyone is interested in seeing some photos, e-mail me at rls1400@aol.com

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  7:50:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
2. Could easily be taken care of, just move the switches, it shouldn't be too hard.

3. The manuals that come with the buses give detailed instructions for adjusting the doors both manual and air controlled. If you look at the rods that go from the door handle to the door you can see it can be adjusted.

4. With the left panel being so far away from the driver you have lots of room to move your arm so most switches are easy to reach.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  12:14:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here's a pic of what the new setup looks like

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~b0suther/lanse1

Bri
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  1:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I still don't believe you with the wiring covers. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to get the metal ones, so it's a spec'ing issues. Ours are still coming as metal.

As for the switches being crooked and out of the way, just move them. You can unplug it and move it farther up if that's an issue.

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999

Edited by - Thomas Ford 85-16 on 06/10/2003 1:10:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thomas/Freightliners with the exterior access compartment, newly designed dash (HDX-style), and re-worked control panel.

First off, the "exterior access compartment": Are you referring to the electrical access panel found under the driver's window?

The HDX dashboard is a Freightliner dashboard. All of the gauges used are Freightliner gauges. The dashboard in the HDX is the same one found in the Freightliner bus and their trucks. Just some FYI.

When I pick up my IC RE at the STN show this summer, I will have to check out the new switch panel design and layout on the Freightliner bus. I really, really like the looks of it. I especially like the climate-control switches that are also used on the HDX.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  1:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

quote:
Thomas/Freightliners with the exterior access compartment, newly designed dash (HDX-style), and re-worked control panel.

First off, the "exterior access compartment": Are you referring to the electrical access panel found under the driver's window?

The HDX dashboard is a Freightliner dashboard. All of the gauges used are Freightliner gauges. The dashboard in the HDX is the same one found in the Freightliner bus and their trucks. Just some FYI.

When I pick up my IC RE at the STN show this summer, I will have to check out the new switch panel design and layout on the Freightliner bus. I really, really like the looks of it. I especially like the climate-control switches that are also used on the HDX.

You keep saying that, did you seriously buy that bus?! And how?!

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  1:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
You keep saying that, did you seriously buy that bus?! And how?!

No, I did not buy that bus. lol

Even if I could afford a bus such as that, the insurance would really burden me for sure!
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  1:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob didn't really buy that bus. I did. I was just letting him "borrow" it for a little while.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  2:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buskid

Bob didn't really buy that bus. I did. I was just letting him "borrow" it for a little while.

Really?! Congratulations! You'll have to fill us in on the specs sometime.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  2:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is correct, Trina. We agreed that once all the "new bus bugs" are worked out, I will give the bus back to you.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  5:34:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

quote:

Hey Bob,

Yes, I'm referring to the electrical access panel.

I know that it is the same style as the HDX, just saying it's a new design for the Freightliner (as standard equipment).

Check your e-mail, I sent some photos of the redesigned model.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  6:43:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The new dash in the Freightliners only comes with the Mercedes engine, if you order Cat or Cummins you get the standard dash.

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  6:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The new dash in the Freightliners only comes with the Mercedes engine, if you order Cat or Cummins you get the standard dash.

All buses have the "new" dash now, including CAT and Cummins.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  7:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear they are now using one dashboard on the Freightliner buses now. I did not really like the other one they were using. It looked out-dated, especially since all of the Freightliner trucks had the "new" dash set-up.

The switch panel under the driver's window looks a little long. I bet it looks great filled up with switches!
Go to Top of Page

BBInt.10
Top Member

USA
1042 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2003 :  9:19:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit BBInt.10's Homepage  Send BBInt.10 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It just came to my mind... I was driving one of our year 2000 Thomas Freights on a rainy day and the windshield was fogging up. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the defroster fans to turn on. Could anyone familiar with this setup tell me where the switches are located and what they are labeled, and if there is more than one switch that needs to be flipped in order for the fan to come on.

Thanks,
-Dave

If all your problems are behind you... you must be a school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  12:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Dave,

The bus may have been equiped with a "master fan" switch as all of ours are, this has the fan symbol on it and is labeled "master". The defroster switches have a defroster symbol on them, not a regular fan symbol like the heaters. I'm sure our fellow forum member Bri98-87 could go into more detail as to what might not have been on.

Go to Top of Page

AmTran 241
Advanced Member

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  5:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was on a 2004 Thomas Freightliner one of my friends drives it seems nice, she likes it. I have never had the oppetunity to sit in the drivers seat though.

745 - 2005 IC RE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000