Enter Forum: General Interest
 Help Me Decide
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jthurston

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  8:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit jthurston's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm getting a new route next fall, and may have the opportunity to help influence which bus I get. So just for fun... which bus would you choose? Capacity doesn't matter for the route.

A.) 1989 Blue Bird TC2000, 66 passenger, freshly painted, runs good, blue seats, manual door.

B.) 1998 Amtran Genesis FE, 84 passenger, runs great, green seats, air door, camera.

The choice is purely personal preference... I've driven both kinds and like them about the same. I like the older Blue Birds just for nostalgia, but the Amtran will come in handy for field trips... plus it's considerably newer.

So which would you pick?

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  8:45:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd take the Blue Bird. Although the AmTran is newer, the air door would drive me nuts. The Blue Bird manual doors are the best, in my opinion and I also prefer the other controls. The TC steering column is also very nice.

Spicer is nicer.

Edited by - Peter on 06/11/2003 8:49:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would take the 1998 AmTran FE. The reasoning is because it have a camera which it could be helpful just cause you have one of those he/she issues etc. The camera is the driver's best friend. Secound AmTran have the DT466 engine, and the air door, sweet!

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  9:03:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
C, none of the above.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  9:09:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you'll read carefully, Bret, you'll find that C wasn't an option. Mr. Thurston can't very well take the children to school on his bicylce so he needs to choose a bus.

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  06:57:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd take the AmTran. The air door is a nice feature (I relly like them), but I think the camera would be a major selling point for me. That way you have something to back you up should problems arise.

Due to the current economic condition, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.
Go to Top of Page

busmonkey

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  11:59:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would take the blue bird as a mechanic since the engine is not noisy compared to the amtran. As a driver I would take the amtran since it has the camara and the bus will have added featurs which will be nice compared to the older blue bird.

busmonkey
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  12:59:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peter

If you'll read carefully, Bret, you'll find that C wasn't an option. Mr. Thurston can't very well take the children to school on his bicylce so he needs to choose a bus.

And that was Bret's usual sarcastic remark to the choices given, LOL.

http://www.gilligcoaches.net
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  1:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I would take the Am-Tran simply because of the camera and air door. I like my Bluebird 88 Model pretty good, but I miss my air door from my Thomas. I hope they will make it federal to have cameras installed in every bus. We can spend money on everything else, why not cameras?
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  1:52:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I should have included some of those wink faces, hmm?

Spicer is nicer.
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  2:00:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I knew you were joking Peter. When you said he can't use his bicycle it reminded me of a signature I used to have on here, "I'd rather pull my kids in a 77 passenger Radio Flyer than drive a Blue Bird" So maybe option "C" should be a 77 passenger Radio Flyer!

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  2:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AmTran. I love air doors, and a camera is almost a necessity, so That AmTran sounds good. But the TC is also a verynice bus. If the TC/2000 has the same features, I'd rather that.
Greg Hovan
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  4:26:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would take the TC hands down. All though older, it runs fine and has that manual door which is nice for rainy days, not having to open it all the way. The fresh coat of paint also makes it look nice.

I'll show you my air brakes if you show me yours.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  5:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would definitely take the 1998 International/AmTran FE. It has the DT466, an outstanding dashboard set-up (my personal preference), air door, a camera, and it is newer out of the two buses.
Go to Top of Page

AmTran 241
Advanced Member

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  5:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would take the AmTran FE in that case because I do not like the Blue Bird products

745 - 2005 IC RE
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000