escape resistant harnesses/vests
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marc Sattler

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  09:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have an autistic special needs student that is able to get out of a safety vest that has between the leg straps and also can get out through the top despite the opening being reduced by half. Anybody know of harness that is harder to get out of? Our only other alternative is a bus aide to monitor him.

Wolfman

USA
192 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  5:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marc how old is this student? Here most of the speical need students have aides to ride with them. Most of them ride a regular bus. An aide with the harness might be the way to go.

Wolfman Howling Mostly at the kids!

Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  7:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he is smaller, there is an oversize carseat with the brand name "Gorilla," which works well for most 40 - 60 lb students. I forgot the manufacturer's name. There are also buckle locks - they slide over the seat belt buckle and the only way to unlatch the seat belt is to open the child-proof cover, which is the same as those on medicine bottles. (to open, push down while rotating counter clockwise). If he is high functioning he will probably be able to figure the buckle lock out, though.

When securing the harness (we call them "safety vests," make sure the "Y" strap in the back is tight. Some bus seats are made so you can see the floor between the bottom cushion and the seat back. Kids can easily get out of safety vests in this type of seat by pushing up with their legs. Sometimes a mechanic can fasten a clamp under the seat to prevent this - but be sure they do not drill/screw into the "Y" strap webbing. The bottom hooks should be as close to the seat cushion as possible so junior cannot get his legs under the safety vest.

Of course, the safety vest and a bus attendant would be the best way to go, but some States are cutting back so severely that the bus attendant has become a luxury. (I know - this may be contradictory to safety principles, least restrictive environment, etc. - but it is today's reality). The only way we are able to get a bus attendant in our district is through the IEP process. And it helps if the parent has an advocate.

I have mixed emotions about hiring another person. I'd just hate to see another person laid off in our district so a bus attendant can be hired. I hope you can find a way to handle the problem without major expense.

Go to Top of Page

Marc Sattler

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2003 :  09:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The student is 12 and weighs approx 100 lbs. The IEP is tomorrow and we have the verbal approvals for an aide. I would prefer not to have the aide due to logistical and cost issues. He is an higher functioning autistic and has been able to unbuckle the harness by watching what the driver and parents do! He is also somewhat double jointed. The parents have the same problem in their car and are looking for a solution for both. Short of wrist restraints, or an aide, just looking for something else.

Go to Top of Page

busguy1

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2003 :  09:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try to epoxy a flat washer onto the latch button cover (this will restrict the opening)to prevent from the childs fingers opening the release for the harness. You will have to use a small item such as a pencil to operate the button for releasing it but it will prevent the thing from accidently being opened. A thing to keep in mind is to have a safety cutter handy on the bus if a case an emergency presents itself then the driver can simply cut the straps from the child. All of my buses are equipped with this type of safety cutter. Also there is a strap available from the (ease on vest company) that can be installed for the prevention of the retainer strap from sliding around and off of the back of the seat. Hope this assists you.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000