New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  5:27:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of you may already know that I accepted a golden handshake from Oceanside, and my last official day will be June 30. I agreed to work on a consulting basis to make sure my successor has a successful startup next fall. Once everything here is running smoothly, maybe October, I'll be looking for a 3 year stint in another school district transportation department. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment.

In the meantime, I'll hang around this forum to keep in touch. Once I REALLY retire, I may write an occasional article for our trade magazines. We'll see.

FYI - my hobbies are rebuilding Ford Model Ts and oil painting - mostly landscapes. Wierd, huh!

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  8:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I wish you the best of luck in your retirement. I'm sure you will be greatly missed by your transportation department.

I think it's hard for anyone to leave the school transportation field. I've considered it a few times over the past three years, as of now I'm basically going on a year to year basis, I'll have 25 school years at the end of 03-04.

How many years has it been for you?

The Thomas M2 Conventional- Coming to a bus yard near you in 2004!
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  07:01:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been in people transportation 40 years. 10 with airlines (1963-73), 30 so far with school buses (1973-2003). I love this job! If I had to do it over I would not change careers.

John

Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  07:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Congrat's John!
By the sound of it, you have done a great job over these 40 years! Maybe Ford could use you to make them Model T's..lol

God Speed!

Kevin Neafie

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  6:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best of luck to you John! Find one of those nice quiet little districts out in the middle of nowhere to run for a bit.
All the best,
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  7:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
lol Sounds like my district,Joe! Around 42 buses,35 routes,no driver shortage,not really any fudning problems ect. Goog luck,John!

Edited by - Silas J. on 05/04/2003 7:28:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2003 :  3:29:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

It sure sounds like your not ready to retire. Look forward to see where you show up next.

Good Luck

PHW

Child Check For Life
Go to Top of Page

gonzosbus

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  1:02:33 PM  Show Profile  Send gonzosbus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Congrats John, I know after 25 years Im still too young to retire (41). Yellow blood is hard to get rid of once its in your system. Im Glad I had the pleasure of meeting you at Reno a few years ago, I have enjoyed your posts over the years. you need a small 25 - 30 bus operation like I got now to keep you going. Good Luck! Armando Cuellar, Madison Elementary SD #38, Phoenix Arizona.

Safety First Always
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Guys! A friend of mine once suggested we all could use a small ELEMENTARY district once in a while. No field trips after 4:00 PM - dump the coffee pot, lock the gate and go home, John. It sounds like a great concept, but I would not know what to do with all that extra time!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000