Enter Forum: General Interest
 Route sheets
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ZZTalon

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  1:49:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ZZTalon's Homepage  Send ZZTalon an AOL message  Reply with Quote
How are route sheets done where you are? Like say you get a run you've never done before, what do they give you? (if you are lucky enough to get something :-P)
One place I work has these big cards that you can stuff in the windshield. They have the route # on the front and the stops listed in order on the back. It's nice cuz you can read it hands free, but it doesn't tell you how to get from one stop to the next, so if ya didn't know the area it'd be a pain. It does tell you if you have to turn around or back up at a stop.
The other place I work you get a 2 or 3 page sheet that has turn by turn directions with stops in bold, how many kids are supposed to get off at each stop, and the names of any special needs kids, if they need a harness etc. The sheets (computer generated) are useually pretty accurate unless some one decides to change corner stops to house stops >:(. And it gets interesting when the sheet tells you to turn the wrong way down a one way street, or to drive by a kids house so you can drop them off on the wrong side of a six lane road, but most mistakes are pretty obvious. The problem with these is there's not really any where to stick em so you ca still read them, and getting your pages all mixed up is always fun. Not sure which way I like better.

http://www.nyschoolbus.com

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  1:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My school district prints out route sheets. They distribute them to contractors and the schools. They only will list stops and number of kids getting off. No directions. There is also some other info obviously, like times, order in which to do run (although the driver can change it if desired), etc. Sometimes there is a list of passenger names too.

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.schoolbuscentral.com
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  3:23:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We use Edulog's route sheet system. It is great! We include left/right directions, special information re: stops, and individual info for special ed students, (car seat, must be met, etc.) including home phone #, so driver can call the home if needed. We also provide each school's (on the route) phone # for the same reason.

Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John,

Where can I find information on Edulog's route system? Would like to compare with our route system.

Thanks

PHW

Child Check For Life
Go to Top of Page

BusFrk5

USA
116 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  3:56:33 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFrk5 an AOL message  Send BusFrk5 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We have both the directions and the correct list of all the stops, turn abouts and etc.

~Future Bus Driver~
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  4:46:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The other place I work you get a 2 or 3 page sheet that has turn by turn directions with stops in bold, how many kids are supposed to get off at each stop, and the names of any special needs kids, if they need a harness etc. The sheets (computer generated) are useually pretty accurate unless some one decides to change corner stops to house stops >:(.

We have these as well.

Stop at: http://buses.thesummit.biz

This is an industry where people brag about their times for 60-0, not 0-60.
Go to Top of Page

mair

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  5:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Send mair an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ours look like this.

Route #
left out of bus yard.
Right onto anyroad Rd.
Stop@ 12 anyroad Rd.
Stop@ 22 anyroad Rd.
Right onto stinkyfoot lane.
Stop@ 45 stinkyfoot lane.

We (the drivers) are responsible for updating our route sheets. Which works out most of the time.

http://2508news.com

Transporting the window lickers of New Hampshire
Go to Top of Page

Peter
Top Member

USA
1057 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  2:08:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some of our districts use VersaTrans to generate complete directionals and maps. These are OK, but not the best. The Edulog printouts are easier to read.

It is comforting to have the directionals but I actually enjoy the challenge of being handed a stop list and maybe a big Hudson's map book (if I'm lucky) in an area I don't know well and being rushed out the door because I'm already late.

Go to Top of Page

mair

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  4:44:38 PM  Show Profile  Send mair an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've covered routes for other areas (with different dispatch) and have gotten myself completely lost because their PM route sheets dont exist. All they do is say "just do the AM route backwards"

Thats when I say to the most coherent looking student on the bus "If you would like to get home some time in this millenium- you WILL help me with this route" Usually they comply :o)

http://2508news.com

Transporting the window lickers of New Hampshire
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  6:14:14 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Each year, we are required to do what is called an R-16 form. PAIN IN THE BUTT! Most of the time, the sub is given that by the school. Is is line by line of the stops - house #'s etc. However, they are small and very hard to read. Most drivers will type out their own route description and leave it for the sub. I do one for my sub like this:

Leave school at 6:35
RT. out of school on to XXX Road
LT. at traffic signal onto Hwy XXX
RT. onto XXX Road (Beside YOOKER Store)
STOP @ # 000 XXX Road

I try to make mine as detailed as possible because I have subbed and I know what it is like to get out at 6:30 with no clue where you are going! I also make my type big so its easy to read.

All subs say mine are the best! Not bragging or nothing! LOL

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us." PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!!

Edited by - busdrver4jesus on 04/11/2003 6:16:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

jb

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  7:32:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The district I am in does not have up to date route sheet. They are very general. As a full time Sub driver I want to know the time to leave the yard and where and what time the first student is picked up. From that point I depend on a student or students for assistance.

James Boldebuck
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  04:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I belive that our route sheets are pretty easy to go by. They go like this:

6:50 Garage 3:39
7:05 55 Campmeeting Rd. 2:54
7:06 43 Campmeeting Rd. 2:53
7:08 102 Hookstown Grade Rd. 2:51
7:09 105 Hookstown Grade Rd. 2:50

And so on, so forth. Most of the sub drivers are from our area, so they know the roads pretty well. The first time is the pick up time in the am, and the second time is the drop off time for the pm.

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  06:48:46 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Right onto stinkyfoot lane.
Stop@ 45 stinkyfoot lane.

Stinkyfoot Lane? That is a good one! LOL Stinkyfoot Lane I think is on my route! I have one kid and his shoes stink so bad! BARFFFFFFF - I want to buy him some news shoes so bad somedays! LOL

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us." PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!!

Go to Top of Page

BPS_Driver
Advanced Member

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  07:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Send BPS_Driver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Ours are pretty generic.

We have a hand written form- which includes lefts and rights, stop times and any other important information.

Then we have the computer pruint out if you choose. Our routing system is done by polyplot. Polyplot was designed for many South East Michigan Districts.

I like the handwritten copy because the poly Plot sheets do not always get updated because the driver's are supposed to meet with the routers and commonly forget to.

23 Million safe deliveries a day by all of us
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  10:25:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To: PHW

I believe in the Edulog product and have implemented it in 4 school districts over the years. Edulog is located in Missoula, MT and has been around since the mid-seventies. They have over 1,100 school districts as customers. Even Laidlaw uses their software to make their routes more efficient. In recent years a lot of companies have sprung up using ArcView or something similar to develop their geographic database. There are a lot of these companies out there and all deserve attention, if you are thinking of developing true and accurate "left-right" driver instructions.

Edulog's website can be reached at edulog.com

John

Go to Top of Page

80-RE4
Top Member

USA
5700 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  8:06:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The route sheet printout we get are from Versatran. They are done by a computer. It sort of looks like this:
It has the driver's name:
The route number:
The school:

Then it will list the stops Like this:

Right on US 100
Left on School Rd
700 stop: School Rd (12 students)
Continue on School Rd
Right on Hill Dr
702 stop: Main Drive (13 students)

And so forth. It doesn't look exactly like that but somewhat like it.

It is a nice system -versatrans- but sometimes it messes up saying that you are supposed to travel 3 miles in 1 minute. Sorry busses don't fly!

I love my Amtran RE ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Gary E. Davis

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  10:14:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to pride myself with operating a outstanding fleet with outstanding staff;however, the one area that needs the most help is the route sheets, especially when used by sub drivers...they suck!
I do not care how we do them, somehow they get messed up.
We have all the computer stuff, all the correct paper work etc. We just cannot get a system going.
No one is doing anything to mess it up. I guess the blame is on me for not getting this area under control.
Shame on me!
gary

Gary E. Davis
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  2:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary:

I've found a way to keep the routing computer data up-to-date. I copied Tuscon's system by having several drivers Edulog-trained and ready to assist during "peak periods," such as the 3 weeks before school starts. When there is no Edulog work to do, which is most of the school year, they drive their bid route.

The old expression about teaching a man to fish applies here.

Not only do our "Eduloggers" help immensely, they also coach fellow drivers about computer-related issues throughout the year. Besides the extra pay in the summer, a big plus for the Eduloggers is that they have an upward promotional path in the department.

Go to Top of Page

Gary E. Davis

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  10:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To: John Farr

Thanks for the idea. I have to get the idea approved by 2 unions first, as we are heavy into union country in the Detroit area.
I AM GOING TO USE DRIVERS AS EXTRA WORK AND SEE HOW IT WORKS.

GARY

Gary E. Davis
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  7:26:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Use care in selecting drivers. Lots of drivers want the recognition, training, pay, and the "inside track" available when working in the office. I give them a test first. This gives an objective method of keeping a manageable field of candidates. Personnel can help with this. A computer background and an analytical mind are essential. They also must be able to get along with the office staff and fellow drivers. Most importantly, they cannot bring tales and gossip out of the office. Confidentiality is so important. Also, the 20 hours of traning is voluntary (no pay). At first I had to perform the training, but now the Eduloggers and dispatchers have the expertise to do it.

When the process is completed you'll have the folks you want. I doubt that the union will mind. When these drivers are in the office in this new (additional) job, the remaining drivers will get the extra work the Eduloggers would have had, so everyone wins. PLUS - drivers will appreciate that the route sheets are now in top notch shape!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000