State tries to eliminate school bus inspections
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2001 :  12:10:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's a strange story. According to the Oklahoman Newspaper the Oklahoma State Schools Superintendent wanted a last-minute amendment to a bill that proposed doing away with inspections for all vehicles, including school buses.

Would cutting costs, by eliminating state inspections, lead to keeping school buses safe?

The story is at:

http://www.oklahoman.com/cgi-bin/show_article?ID=686680&TP=getarticle

(jk)

Edited by - JK on 05/19/2001 12:57:31 AM

ernestb

USA
145 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2001 :  02:21:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here goes a superintendent that thinks he/she knows everything, inspections should always be a state requirement to be completed by state officials. it's not only for safety but for the kids. The foggist idea of having a bus on the road that wasn't inspected by the state will it doesnt sit well. Just this year we have 92 buses and 6 of them mostly spares but they were red tagged by the state, cause they either saw or found something that was missed by our staff. When I board my bus in the mornings and I see the sticker on the windshield, well it just gives me confidence that we are in strict comnplaince and I drive a 2001.

Go to Top of Page

Frank, Bus #150

USA
86 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2001 :  9:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Frank, Bus #150's Homepage  Reply with Quote

That article was very confusing and poorly written.
I suspect that it means the school superintendent was objecting to the law because it removed the requirement to inspect school buses.
Its the politicians that need their heads inspected, when they "save" money at the expense of the school children of their state.

Frank, Bus #150

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2001 :  9:22:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

That article was very confusing and poorly written. I suspect that it means the school superintendent was objecting to the law because it removed the requirement to inspect school buses.
Its the politicians that need their heads inspected, when they "save" money at the expense of the school children of their state. -- Frank, Bus #150

Frank,

I think you're right. It looks like the Oklahoma State Schools Superintendent Sandy Garrett was objecting to eliminating school bus inspections. The last line, in the poorly done article helps: "Garrett said she’ll send a letter to all Oklahoma superintendents reminding them of the requirement."

(jk)

Go to Top of Page

Busrepair

121 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2001 :  12:41:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not read the article but whomever is asking for the requirement for state insoection of vehicles is taking a risk. First even though we all have very qualified mechanics working on the buses, they are human. I feel quite reassured when they come in and inspect the buses for the mere fact that there is someone else looking over the already looked over bus. Four eyes are always better than two.

Go to Top of Page

Stevebus42
Advanced Member

USA
363 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2001 :  05:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is quite clear from the post on this subject that you are not from Oklahoma and really have no clue to the true facts in the case.
1. The Oklahoma Legislature repealed the vehicle inpection law.Previously All Vehicle had to be inspected at an Official Vehicle Inspection Station ie Garages & Service Stations for which they recieved a a fee of $ 5.00 there was an attempt to raise the Fee charged to $ 10.00. This failed and so the legislature voted to eliminate vehicle inspections. School buses were inpected in District Garages by school district mechanics. The safety inpections for all vehicles were only as good as the integraty of the inspectors. Sany Garret was asleep at the switch and didn't as many State Represenatives and Senators realize the ramifications for repealing this law. They all agree that School buses as well as fleet vehicle safety inpections should have been retained. The State Board of education is presently impamenting rules to continue the state school bus inspection program

Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2001 :  8:00:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

It is quite clear from the post on this subject that you are not from Oklahoma and really have no clue to the true facts in the case.

Have no idea what you mean by this. The facts, as you put it, those who read the article pretty much already know.

Here's another fact: A poorly written article about a poorly written Bill. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 05/25/2001 9:59:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000