Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 School Bus Yellow
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ash992

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  5:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit ash992's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am considering building a paper model bus and would like to find out where can you get a can full of "National School Bus Chrome Yellow", for accuracy's sake. Is it legal? Can you paint a model that color?
Or is it for school buses only?

Ash992"The AmTran Nut"

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  7:01:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Ash
Yes you can paint it and you can get the colour at any auto store that has a big variety of spray paints. The colour will be labeled- School Bus Yellow. Here in Michigan we have a store called Auto Zone and they have it for $3.99

Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  7:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, that sounds like a cool idea, so cool that I have already made a few attempts at making a school bus model myself. My latest try came out pretty good. I myself was looking for paint too, and I found a color that was as close as I was going to get. I bought it at Wal-Mart for $1.47 a can. The color is called "equipment yellow" and is intended to match Catepillar equipment. It's not a perfect match but it looks a lot closer than regular crayon yellow. I used heavyweight printer paper and posterboard type paper.How big is this model going to be. I have found that the bigger it is, the easier it is to add small noticeable details. Well, good luck on your project.

Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2001 :  2:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Another question...

For making a model of a school bus, what's a good way to do the overhead lights? I had gone to NAPA auto parts to get some kind of flasher circuit...

The only thing they had was a 537 flasher, which is designed for turn signals. It worked, but the timing was uneven. Anyone know where I can get something that would work, short of spending $90 a Weldon electronic unit? Having the usual master/manual switch system would be good, but I wouldn't mind having separate switches just for red or amber.

Go to Top of Page

ash992

USA
124 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2001 :  7:04:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit ash992's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been contemplating that idea too.
Maybe if you used parts from an old X'mas light set and wired them together you could fit it in the model, the timing can be programmed, and it is usually constant.

Ash992"The AmTran Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2001 :  9:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
True, that might work. Although with the variety of xmas lights available, finding the right one would be pretty hard.

What do they use for buses with only red lights? That might work...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000