New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2001 :  8:48:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was following a brand new Freightliner Thomas bus the other day and I got an idea. This bus had the three equal sized orange, red and clear lights. I have noticed on a lot of the new cars that they have lights that look clear but they light up either red or amber.Would it be possible to do this on a bus. You could use the clear lens with an amber bulb inside so that the light would blink orange but when it was off it would look clear.I think that this would give the Thomas bus and other buses an even more modern look.What do you guys think, could it be a possibility in the future. Who knows, but I think it's a good idea.

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  06:10:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First, I'm guessing you live in MA, right? Because that's not the usual configuration for Thomas, but I think it's in MA specs for school buses.

As for the design, I agree that that'd look cool, but it's more of a function-over-form philosophy in the design of school buses. It's a good suggestion though.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  09:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think that it would look stylish as well and perhaps give the school bus a new image. Who knows...it could happen down the road eventually...time will tell. But, yes, it would be interesting to see how it would look.

But, what I myself would like to see is more LED use. I see a lot of trucks around here with them, and I think that it is about time more school buses make use of them. I have seen 2 AmTran RE's with them and they look great. They offer a lot of style, dependibility, better visibility for other motorists, and functionability--even though they do cost more. But in the long run, you will save money. You won't have to change the LED's as much as you change regular light bulbs because the LED's last longer and therefore, the maintenance cost of those would be much less.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  11:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Buster,
The clear light you saw is probably the backup light. It would be inappropriate to put an amber bulb behind them, as visabilty would be reduced needlessly.
Many states are going to improved lighting systems, such as sealed lamps, leds, etc. Florida uses sealed lamps for the eight system up on top, and begining on this bid (6/01) LED lights for tail turn, and stop lights and sealed type backup lights. Tests have shown significantly reduced labor costs and MUCH added reliability as a result of these changes. Transit agencies have been doing this type of thing for years, and we're begining to catch up!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2001 :  12:15:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe this is a new lighting system just in the making for transit authorities and school buses. There will have to be many tests done and many studies to proove they are safe first before they begin spec'ng them on buses. I personally love the sealed beam- with out the screws and holes in the lens for the screws because of ease of repairs and less water getting in the light bulb. Also on some models it seems to appear that the actual lens is clearer and the light is brighter. I cannot wait to see when we get all led lights nationwide. Thats putting safety first

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2001 :  07:52:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busdiva,
What I'm telling you is that we ARE already using this lighting system and it DOES save lotsa time and $$$. Florida specs it as standard equipment on all of their buses. Go for it!
Joe

Edited by - wagonmaster on 04/20/2001 07:53:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2001 :  09:08:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wagonmaster!!
Thats awosme, I am happy some state has common wisedom and sense. Can you if you have time, get the name of the manufacturer of the lense company and where they are out of. I would appreciate any information!!

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2001 :  1:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
***What buster123 said it that he has seen the clear lenses on cars, and was wondering if it could be done on a school bus. The bus he was following had the standard red stop, amber turn, and clear backup.

I think it would be neat to try it, I don't know if it would be safer or not, you have to give it a try to find out.

Did anyone notice that on most Thomas conventional buses with a Freightliner Chasis they have three equally sized tail lights stop/turn/reverse, while the ones with an International chassis have the large stop,and turn, but the reverse light is smaller,and is located lower on the back of the bus? Just something I noticed between the two since they are the same body company just different chassis.

"Thomas Built Buses-The best buses on the Road."
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2001 :  1:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It depends on how you spec your bus out. If you order it with the larger lights, then thats how it arrives. It does not depend on who manufactured the chasis. You can order all the lights the same size, or all with LED lights or just about anyway you prefer!!

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2001 :  7:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...and you can also decide if you want amber turn signals with or with out arrows, or you can get red turn signals with or without arrows too.

With the 8-ways, you can choose whether or not you want visors over them too.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2001 :  8:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's right, I live in Massachusetts. My town has Thomas Freightliners and some Thomas Internationals. They all have the three light configuration, except a few of the 95 models. I noticed though that the new ones have two sets of reverse lights. The big 7 inch ones and then the smaller ones down toward the bottom like on all of the other Thomas buses. We have a couple that look different. One has: Orange arrow, clear,and then red, the other one has two reds and a white. It's amazing how much different the back of a bus can look just by changing the lights around. It's kind of neat and adds a little distinction so that the buses don't all look the same.

Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2001 :  06:37:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow
I totally agree. With just the lights you can change the whole facade, sides or abck or bus. Same thing with the paint. Ever see soemone try and make a carpenter look like a Thomas just to see what the outcome will be?

We often replace the numbers when the begint o peel off and often change them with numbers that stand out form one another so we can identify the bus form far away and be able to identify it

Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2001 :  5:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got around to trying out my idea and seeing what it would look like. It looks pretty neat and the amber light is highly visible through the clear lense. I think that if the lens housing where the bulb is located were to be painted a shiny chrome color instead of black, then the lights would shine even better. I think if I were to try it out on a bus, I would use the clear lenses with orange bulbs on the front of the bus, that way I still have the other sets of directionals to work also. I think that this idea might eventually work it's way onto school buses, who knows.

Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2001 :  6:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

***What buster123 said it that he has seen the clear lenses on cars, and was wondering if it could be done on a school bus. The bus he was following had the standard red stop, amber turn, and clear backup.

I think it would be neat to try it, I don't know if it would be safer or not, you have to give it a try to find out.

Did anyone notice that on most Thomas conventional buses with a Freightliner Chasis they have three equally sized tail lights stop/turn/reverse, while the ones with an International chassis have the large stop,and turn, but the reverse light is smaller,and is located lower on the back of the bus? Just something I noticed between the two since they are the same body company just different chassis.

As many as I have seen on the road I would be willing to wager that youre 95% correct with that statement. All of the Thomas we run with IHC chassis have the small backup at the bottom... and a neighboring district has the freightliner (bunch of rich snobs...) and they have three equal lights.

I'm not sure why though... and for you LED fans... I AGREE. LED is the way to go and I cannot wait until all buses are STANDARD with LED lights!

-- Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2001 :  7:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
MrBusDriver

I know that the chassis manufacturer has nothing to do with the reverse lights, but that is how I always see them. International/Thomas has the small reverse lights, where as the Freightliner/Thomas buses always have the large reverse lights located next to the turn and brake lights. Why I don't know. I like the smaller reverse lights that are located down farther that I have seen on the Thomas buses, it keeps them different from Blue Bird, and AmTran.

As for your neighboring districts that have Freightilner- they can keep them. I used to like International as I had an 86 with a gas engine and a manual transmission, now I have to drive a diesel auto International and I don't like them as much.

I want GMC/Thomas to make a deal- GMC still offers a gas powered engine, and of course Thomas makes the best bus body.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2001 :  11:50:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Baltimore county has been buying the three equal sized tail lights ( full size reverse lights on both sides ) for a long time. The oldest Thomas's I can remember is the 1989 Gas Thomas Chevys, they have the full size reverse lights. All our buses have or had them as far back as the 1983 GMC WARDS. I do know that the 1980 Superiors did not have them. The newer Thomas's ( 1994 and 1997 order ) are internationals, and the 2000 and 2001 repeat order are Freightliners,,,finally some variety ( chassis-wize )in the fleet. We still arent buying strobes or led;s though,,,I hope we do soon. I also hope that these new 2001 Thomas's that should be in very soon have the new entrance doors.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  03:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also seen them on the transit buses here {not school buses}. I really like them, they just look like they would be easier to see at night.

Go to Top of Page

svhockeyjock

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  11:34:38 AM  Show Profile  Send svhockeyjock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
i have a 1999 Thomas International with the 3 equal lights described above but on top of that i also have the regular lower mounted thomas reverse lights. Most of our 99 Thomas busses have the same configuration, so when i back up at night i light up the whole state, its nice..LOL

John Scott Boreland
Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  2:34:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

i have a 1999 Thomas International with the 3 equal lights described above but on top of that i also have the regular lower mounted thomas reverse lights. Most of our 99 Thomas busses have the same configuration, so when i back up at night i light up the whole state, its nice..LOL

John Scott Boreland

The backup lights on my '90 IHC/AmTran are so bright at night it's almost like I have headlights on the back of my bus... I really like having the large backup lights. Good thing I keep my sunglasses in the bus with me all the time

-- Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

BusDiva
Top Member

USA
609 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2001 :  2:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will start to notice also the LED lights being used on the reverse lights if they have not yet begun retrofitting them in your area

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2001 :  07:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LED's are also now available for parking lights and turn signals for the front of trucks and buses. I think they need to be spaced about 3" away from the headlights though.

Bob
"B. Busguy33"
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2001 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said LED's lights are useful,helpful,safe and they should be on all of the buses.

Thomas265
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000