Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 California Child Check System
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  08:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if anyone has heard any updates on whether the bill to postpone the Paul Lee Safety Law was picked back up? I looked online and couldn't find any updates after 2-14-18.

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  08:37:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the California Association of School Transportation Officials (CASTO) this past weekend, Stephanie Oliver, who is a transportation programs consultant with the California Department of Education, said in a session on the topic that the bill to extend the requirement to install child-check reminder alert system to the 2019-20 school year died since its sponsor, Sen. Tony Mendoza, resigned. CASTO is communicating with the state capitol to see if someone else will pick up the bill with the extension. But as of now, the deadline is on or before the start of the 2018-19 school year. SBF will publish a story with more details soon. Hope this helps.
quote:
Originally posted by scot1337

I was wondering if anyone has heard any updates on whether the bill to postpone the Paul Lee Safety Law was picked back up? I looked online and couldn't find any updates after 2-14-18.

Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  08:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I havent heard anything yet. Still waiting for them to figure it out before I go any further with my fleet. Heres hoping that they eventually decide that the way other states spec this system will be acceptable but Ill bet they will hold to CHPs unreasonably stricter standards.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  09:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand what is so hard about this. There is no law that you have to have them here in Illinois but if you do have them you have some rules to follow. You have to have the dome lights activated when the ignition key is turned off. You have to go to the rear of the bus to deactivate the system. And there has to be some way that the system will honk the horn or otherwise notify people that the bus wasn't checked. That is all very simple with the systems that are available.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  09:11:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hear that they are working with a new senator that is interested in helping to extend the deadline but it's still too early.
Also, I haven't heard that anybody is trying to change the CHP standards that were finally released - only the deadline. I think that we are stuck with those.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  09:23:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dferrell

I hear that they are working with a new senator that is interested in helping to extend the deadline but it's still too early.
Also, I haven't heard that anybody is trying to change the CHP standards that were finally released - only the deadline. I think that we are stuck with those.

What do the rules look like?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  09:46:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What do the rules look like?

Here is the actual language from CHP: https://childcheckmate.helpdocs.io/article/MPUTDrpCb3-sb-107-final-copy-of-title-13-adopted-text

I think it is similar to what everyone currently uses but in addition, now the system has to be tied into the dome lights and the parking brake. Installation times went from under an hour to 8 - 10 hours.
I have only talked with Childcheckmate but their old systems will have to be sent in and reprogrammed to meet the new specs and there are additional wiring harnesses to have to purchase.
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  11:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

At the California Association of School Transportation Officials (CASTO) this past weekend, Stephanie Oliver, who is a transportation programs consultant with the California Department of Education, said in a session on the topic that the bill to extend the requirement to install child-check reminder alert system to the 2019-20 school year died since its sponsor, Sen. Tony Mendoza, resigned. CASTO is communicating with the state capitol to see if someone else will pick up the bill with the extension. But as of now, the deadline is on or before the start of the 2018-19 school year. SBF will publish a story with more details soon. Hope this helps.
quote:
Originally posted by scot1337
Thank you, that was what I was trying to find out. The last I heard is that Mendoza had resigned and hopefully someone else would pick up the bill. That was a while ago and I hadn't heard anything more about it. As far as the Childcheckmate system itself, I have 2 dealers that have given me quotes and a third that says Childcheckmate is still waiting to hear if CHP verifies that the system meets the requirements. They told me not to buy anything yet until that happens and wont even give me a quote.

Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  11:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure how I replied within a quote, that is hard to read. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  1:51:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That law is so complicated. How on earth do you people get anything done in California? This doesn't have to be that complicated. Why make the thing tied into the speed of the bus? Why have an audible tone to be heard outside the bus before the deactivate button is pushed in the rear? Wouldn't a tone/ horn going off, if the driver tried to exit without deactivating, be sufficient? Boy, I thought Illinois was bad. I am counting my blessings about now. Good luck to you all!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  2:53:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

That law is so complicated. How on earth do you people get anything done in California? This doesn't have to be that complicated. Why make the thing tied into the speed of the bus? Why have an audible tone to be heard outside the bus before the deactivate button is pushed in the rear? Wouldn't a tone/ horn going off, if the driver tried to exit without deactivating, be sufficient? Boy, I thought Illinois was bad. I am counting my blessings about now. Good luck to you all!

My guess is that Its tied into the speed so that there couldnt be any instance when the bus moves and the system doesnt arm. But as far as the tone thing I feel the same way about the dome lights. This system is supposed to remind the driver to check for kids at the end of every run in order to prevent kids from being left alone on the bus. Why must we also turn the lights on? Why must it be mandated for the system to do something that can easily be done with a switch if the driver needs to?
Also what I find funny is that they dont provide any increased funding. How do the public schools work out how to pay for and implement this?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  05:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That's usually what state mandates are . Do more with less !!! Our system was installed at the factory when the bus was built ? When the driver shuts the bus down the headlights flash . This let's the driver know the thing is getting ready to go off .Restarting the bus doesn't deactivate it . Set the brake and turn key to the left . Go back and press the button . If not in time then horn honks and lights flash . I sure don't envy Californias !!!
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  08:50:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once the government in California gets involved, every shred of common sense goes out the window.

Edited by - dferrell on 03/29/2018 09:37:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  09:14:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really is not that complicated. The law does allow the system to monitor the vehicle speed so it activates past 10 miles per hour, but that feature is not required to be used or necessary.

Edited by - 40ngone on 03/29/2018 09:18:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  09:22:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
which ever occurs first, sound like it is , both required, and complicated :)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  09:40:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

LOOL, that's what I thought. However, I guess you could just have it come on as soon as the engine is started. Mine activate with the 8-ways. You're not supposed to have a kid on there unless you have activated the 8-ways to pick up a kid. Sounds like the folks that wrote this law have never driven a bus. That's a novel idea, isn't it? Actually develop a law based on heavy input from people who are going to use it. hmm

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  11:09:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here, armed when 8 ways started. Other methods, once ign on, entrance door or wheel chair door opened. Mechanic can test drive without having to disarm system. Get ready for lots and lots of horn blowing. LOL

Many many simpler ways to achieve a goal, but they seem to have taken the twistiest route possible.

Can anyone here think of a more complicated way to arm the child check?

My guess, the size of California, within one year, a child will still be left on a bus with a child check system.
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  11:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The California brain trust's who writes these laws fully intended for this system to be active right away. My drivers hit 20mph as they leave the yard. They will also exceed the 3 minute time allowance in the yard or very soon after. For all intensive purposes, it is active right away.

If the system is wired hot on start, it does not have to be connected by speed or clock. They just give you the option to go to 3 minutes or 10 mph before the system goes active.

Crazy system and definitely overboard, but us prisoners in CA are used to the mess.

The dome lights have to come on automatically, because they don't trust anybody to turn the dome lights on at night when doing a child check.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  1:30:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

You're not supposed to have a kid on there unless you have activated the 8-ways to pick up a kid.

Is that a rule in Illinois or anywhere? In theory, I could drive an entire bus route and never use the 8 ways/stop arm, other than on the required pretrip, which doesn't arm the child check system on our buses.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 03/29/2018 1:34:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  1:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can stop on a road, and pick up children without using you 8 ways?
You can't here. You cant even have 1 of your 8 way bulb burnt, or 1 stop arm burnt out. Driver must pull over safely, and we take another bus.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  1:41:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can stop on a road, and pick up children without using you 8 ways?
You can't here. You cant even have 1 of your 8 way bulb burnt, or 1 stop arm burnt out. Driver must pull over safely, and we take another bus.

No we can't stop on the road to pickup children without using the 8 ways but we are not required to stop on the road to make the pickups/dropoffs.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 03/29/2018 1:46:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  2:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are exemptions for using the 8 ways one is "School bus loading zones on or adjacent to school grounds..."

So I thought I was all set when I wired the arming signal into the reds and then it was pointed out to me by the trainer that there are times when a driver could have loaded kids and never use the 8 ways.

I think this may be a good time to start another thread discussion about how/why there are so many different regs for what we do between states. Im sure there are many that are due to different climates and things like that. But it seems that things like this topic really shouldnt be done so differently between states when the end goal is the same.

-Ken-

Edited by - krmvcs on 03/29/2018 2:20:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

40ngone

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2018 :  2:33:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Child Checkmate system has a 10 minute delay if you turn on the Red 8-way lights before you turn off the ignition. That should give our drivers plenty of time to do a red light crossing, and this allows you to remove the key from the ignition.

Also it has a 4 minute delay if you turn the key to accessory. This can be repeated again and again as needed to prevent the system from going into alarm mode.

If you close all floor level doors and set the parking brake before you turn off the ignition switch, then turn ignition off the dome lights come on, and you have 3 minutes to do a child check making your way to the back and deactivate the system.

All that above is how the new Child Checkmate California system works. Not the way the old method of wiring, which was up to the person doing the wiring.

I edited because I had my minutes off. The above is corrected.

Edited by - 40ngone on 03/30/2018 07:53:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://childcheckmate.helpdocs.io/article/nrUJbKtNmk-sb-1072-updates

Just got an email from CCM that says the bill to extend the deadline SB-1269 has been "ordered to inactive file."

The above link from CCM has the latest and greatest on this.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000