New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  12:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just posting this for future reference. Hopefully it helps someone down the road.

I ordered 2 CE's and decided to try Allison's FuelSense Plus. These are Cummins powered units with the 3000 series transmission. Allison claimed it wouldn't affect performance.

The plus package has "neutral at stop" to save fuel. After so many seconds standing still, the transmission neutrals out. The keypad does not indicate any change.

When you go to take off again, there is a delay in take off while things reengage. This creates a dangerous situation on my routes because we turn on and off of major highways and need the power off the line.

Allison's response was "there's no way a driver would even know it had the feature". Obviously they've never driven a vehicle with the feature.

I am working with W.W. Williams to have the feature programmed out, but want anyone considering the option to know our observations. I do not recommend this option.

OxDiesel-Doc

25 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  09:23:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit OxDiesel-Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is there anyway of telling if your transmission is equipped with that mode by the diagnostic software?

On another note, I cant wait for Eatons "Procision" transmission to be offered on school buses...
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  1:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHY?! ^

I drove a Freightliner box truck with that transmission, and its just about the crappiest thing I've ever experienced. Its like driving a standard with out the control of the clutch.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  7:01:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the new Allison Doc for all transmission series on order. When I get it I'll check to see if it shows up.

Trust me though, you'd know if you had this POS feature without a diagnostic check.

I too look forward to Eaton's entry. Not because I want one, but because competition is good for the game.
Go to Top of Page

schoolbus50

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  3:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit schoolbus50's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I drive transit buses for Metro Transit in Minneapolis MN with voith transmissions in them with the same neutral at stop feature programmed into them and they work without any problems what so ever.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2015 :  3:11:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's because that industry, just like the trucking industry, heavy equipment industry, auto industry, etc., wouldn't put up with it. School bus industry gets shi* on every time.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  09:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update:

Having enough drivers that I am not driving a route anymore, or spending all day going "Oh my God, how are we going to get the kids home tonight?!?!?!", I've had time to work on this issue.

Ok, and it helps that the Allison rep I had years ago is back!

He's coming with an Allison Engineer this week to reprogram the 2 buses in question, disabling all the FuelSense features entirely. We are hoping for a nice side-effect of the buses being quicker off of the line too. 240 HP Cummins should have better take-off than these do.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  09:52:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked on garbage trucks for a while with Allison transmissions with auto neutral, it was not that noticeable. Many drivers and mechanics did not realize they had it because it worked so smooth.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2016 :  11:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took a recording with DOC of one of these units, and one of last year's new buses (without the feature-operates flawlessly) for Allison to review. Simulated making a stop waiting for traffic to clear, then taking off. They seemed to act like they saw something on those recordings that didn't seem right.

I'll post an update after we try the programming changes.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this thread by mistake today and realized I never updated the situation.

Allison did reprogram my buses, but are unable to do away with the feature in it's entirety. Something to do with the valve body being different and they've found that disabling it cooks the tranny. The reprogram did help, but I still don't recommend this feature.
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2018 :  3:47:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can these units be reprogrammed using Allison "DOC for fleets" software or is the DOC "fuel sense" version needed? I had the pleasure of using one of our 2018 model C2's on a field trip and I was not impressed with the lack of power when trying to safely merge onto the highway. Fine around town, but a complete dog at full throttle going up a ramp.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2018 :  09:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You'll need Allison to "push" an update to the transmission if you want it changed. Ours saw much better performance after the change was made.

I still have the deal where it neutrals out when stopped for so long...that's the thing that requires valve body change.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000