New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  04:55:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"2012" Blue Bird AAFE, built December 2010, just under 100,000 miles of very, very, very, very reliable service...

Driver is heading home after morning route last Thursday when the engine warning alarm goes off and "SCR FAIL" on dash readout. She comes back, we have a code for abnormal update rate on the DEF system.

Find blown fuse in PDU for the constant battery power to SCR system. Try new fuse for fun, immediately pops. DVOM shows short to ground on the harness after leaving the PDU, even with dosing module unplugged. At this point we didn't realize these things even had a separate controller for the DEF, so we didn't unplug anything else.

Cut 14,762 zip ties, trace wires, find nothing. Dead short now gone, fuse holds, still have the code. Neighbor give us tip to print off info from Quickserve, we follow the diagnostics, which lead us to the controller.

Disconnect controller's 2 plugs, find thermal damage seen here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/27265743@N03/albums/72157666654007848

Dealer has "never seen that before" yet they have sold 5 harnesses for the emission systems in 12 months (now 6 since we needed one). Did I mention it was in stock? Interesting. Cannot buy just the plug and pins. Changing the $1000 harness isn't really all that bad. New controller should be here today.

Anybody seen this before? I consulted another authorized Cummins dealer who said just change the harness and controller and it'll be fine. Still has me worried.

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  05:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
No issues here yet, but I find it very funny that "never seen this before" and "the parts are in stock" go hand in hand.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  07:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm just worried that we will plug the new control module in, fire the bus up, and melt it down just like the last one. I can't find any legitimate reason for the failure, other than maybe the crimp connection in the plug was loose, thus resistance.

New harness is installed, just waiting on UPS to get here...and wondering if I should replace the dosing module.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look in the doser pump connector on the pump is it green ?
Any repairs to the SCR system you MUST let the system run it`s selftest for one min. before the fault will go inactive and you can then clear the code.
If the pump connector has any green in it junk it , you have DEF leaking from the pump inside, also all my bluebirds have wiring problems at that mileage but i live in the salt belt.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  10:39:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buy the way you can buy the pins / seals / hardshell connectors and cummins will give you the part numbers in quickserve
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  11:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doser shows no corrosion or leaking into the plug (we've lived that dream before).

Thanks for the tip for next time on the plug...yet another line of BS from our dealer. I'll add that to the list.
Go to Top of Page

Rich Michels

12 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  6:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know yours is a AARE, on our 2014 DRE's I had a random SCR heater line codes, which would blow the fuse. Our dealer tipped us off that the wire harness for the SCR comes across the top of the engine compartment and drops down to the PDU. The wire harness comes across the left rear corner of the PDU, ours rubbed into the harness. I've since installed a stand off to hold the harness away from the box on all of our DRE's.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  03:11:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, sorry folks...AAFE here. I corrected the original post!
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  04:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have yet to bring a bus back to a customer that mentions this at all on the repair order (for what its worth)

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  06:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mentions what? The harness/plug melting?

Got the new harness and control module in...still have the abnormal update code. Can't get the pump to run, thinking it either was taken out by the control module failure or caused the module failure. Both buses on each side of the age of this one have failed their dosing modules, so no shock there.

LP sounds better and better every day.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000