Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 s-cams bushings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

msharp63

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  08:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit msharp63's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are having to change the s-cam bushings on 2 different buses, one of my mechanics says it is because they have not been greased properly, he states that you should never have to change a bushing if they are greased properly, my question is, how often have you all had to changed these bushings.

We grease the s-cam at least twice a year, any most of our buses do not get more than 8 to 10 thousand miles per year

Thanks
Mike

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  09:21:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would guess our buses get the s-cam bushings replaced once or maybe twice during the life of the bus. I am in California and we keep our buses longer than most (30+ yrs). They are not something we constantly have to change but I don't think you can say they should never have to be changed either. They are a wear item - only made of plastic. Like anything, a lot depends on the driver, how many brake applications, road conditions, etc. I came from the off road trucking/equipment industry almost 20 years ago and I did a lot more s-cam bushings on those trucks that spent lots of time in the dirt.
Also...they should be greased with the brakes released.
Go to Top of Page

scot1337

119 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  10:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my buses set up on a schedule, they get lubed every 4k miles. Some a little sooner because of the roads they drive on. I have only recently replaced my first set on 1 bus in my new district, they were not taken care of very well before I got here. Like dferrell stated, they are a wear item so its not uncommon to have to replace them. We had some buses get lubed every 2k miles because of the roads and area they were driven in.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  11:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I grease mine every service (4000 miles) which because of the distance we travel ends up being 3-4000 miles a month... so mine get greased approx once a month.. if it was me I would try to grease every month if my mileage was 8-10 thou/yr ... Your mileage is similar(8-10 2x/yr) but a lot more hours in between mileage. those bushings do wear out regardless, but if greased properly should last 2 to 3 shoe changes...IMO

I normally get 75000 plus on my rear brakes.... Have yet to have to change s-cam bushings before 150,000 on rears.... fronts s-cam bushings last about a similar amount of time... also have had buses that never had them replaced in a 12-14 years till bus was sold/scraped...

I was taught years ago to release park brake before greasing s-cam bushings on rear... kind of same as jacking up front end to grease king pins...takes pressure off component and lets grease get all around bushing ... keep them greased and they last a long time...

Edited by - slippert on 03/01/2018 11:04:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  12:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make sure the s-camshafts are in good condition where they ride in the bushings too.
We now use a calcium sulfonate grease on our chassis fittings and rarely have to replace any bushings, ujoints, tie rod ends, etc.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  5:49:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How many years/miles are on the 2 different buses?

I have 18 2007 IC-CE's that have not needed any s-cam bushings, 0 u-joints, 0 king pins, and 2 sets of tie rod ends. Average miles on the buses is about 125,000. About 10,000 miles a year. I have 25 2009's and 12 2011's same story. Just not seeing grease related work. I think my guys are doing a good job of hitting all the points, and the grease we use is really good.

Mobil Delvac Extreme NLGI 2 is what we use. Its a Zinc Sulfonate product. We shoot for inspections w/lube every 60 working days, and at every LOF interval. This ends up being 3 or 4 per year.

I have a lot of 18-20 y/o Thomas ER transits that aren't needing bushing sets, or the other stuff. Tie rod ends seem to be the thing we change more of on these bigger buses; and that's once on buses w/200K on them.
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  05:06:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how much dirt and water and salt gets in there. Is it a bus that see unpaved roads. Are the roads very bumpy. It all plays a part. Its only the driver 90% of the time
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  07:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon the Mekanik

how much dirt and water and salt gets in there. Is it a bus that see unpaved roads. Are the roads very bumpy. It all plays a part. Its only the driver 90% of the time

WRONG!!!
Its the driver 99.99% of the time.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  07:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rule #1: Always blame the guy who isn't here to contradict your accusations.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000