Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2001 DT466E maintenance recomendations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

callahanm

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  3:16:59 PM  Show Profile  Send callahanm a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I just bought a 2001 Amtran with the DT466 and I want to make sure and use the right coolant, oil, trans fluid and filters. Also who are the best suppliers? It has 180,000 on it and runs great so I want to keep it that way.
Thanks in advance,
Michael

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  03:22:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael what use will the bus see? Your best bet will be to use fully fourmulated anti freeze with DCA , 50/50 dilution costs more but less problems with corrosion and liner pitting. Filters Fleetrite are OEM and available at all Navistar dealers as well as Allison for the transmission, look around most of the aftermarket trans shops sell them for a good price. Fluids depending on use, if it will set around a lot a good 10w30 semisynthetic is a good choice. For one that will run every day 15W40 is what most of us run. Transmission fluid Allison’s work best with a TES 295 oil, Transynd by Castrol is factory, very pricy though look around for a good deal.
Go to Top of Page

callahanm

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  06:25:44 AM  Show Profile  Send callahanm a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I'm currently turning the bus into a toyhauler/Home so it will probably sit more than run. I just pulled all the heaters except the stairwell heater and topped it off temporarily until I do a full service with the right fluids and now I have a coolant/oil light on? Is there a bleeder or do I need to drain it all and fill with an Airlift? I read about the pitting and that's one of the reasons I wanted to talk with someone about additives and the correct fluids (money is not an issue) just want the best protection done the right way. I do all my own maintenance and have my whole life but honestly this is my first diesel and all the help I can get the better. I appreciate the help! One more thing, I found a Genisis Amtran service manual will this work with my 2001?
Have a great day.
Michael

michael callahan
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  12:29:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Michael what use will the bus see? Your best bet will be to use fully fourmulated anti freeze with DCA , 50/50 dilution costs more but less problems with corrosion and liner pitting. Filters Fleetrite are OEM and available at all Navistar dealers as well as Allison for the transmission, look around most of the aftermarket trans shops sell them for a good price. Fluids depending on use, if it will set around a lot a good 10w30 semisynthetic is a good choice. For one that will run every day 15W40 is what most of us run. Transmission fluid Allison’s work best with a TES 295 oil, Transynd by Castrol is factory, very pricy though look around for a good deal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000