Step light tripping breaker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bknebel

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  4:24:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our district has no official maintenance person, so its up to drivers to troubleshoot and maintain what they can, otherwise the local service station does what they can, and if its bigger than that, we haul them to a service center 30ish miles away.

That said, I drive a 2013 IC CE. The stepwell light was burned out, so I got a replacement bulb. This is a Weldon brand circular bubble light.
I put the bulb in, replaced the housing cover and then started up my bus. I noticed I had no clearance lights or stepwell light, but had headlights. I took the cover off, took out the bulb, reset the breaker fuse and tried the lights again. I had my clearance lights then. I put a different bulb in with the same result.

Any ideas why? I am obviously tripping it somehow...

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  04:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by bknebel

Our district has no official maintenance person, so its up to drivers to troubleshoot and maintain what they can, otherwise the local service station does what they can, and if its bigger than that, we haul them to a service center 30ish miles away.

That said, I drive a 2013 IC CE. The stepwell light was burned out, so I got a replacement bulb. This is a Weldon brand circular bubble light.
I put the bulb in, replaced the housing cover and then started up my bus. I noticed I had no clearance lights or stepwell light, but had headlights. I took the cover off, took out the bulb, reset the breaker fuse and tried the lights again. I had my clearance lights then. I put a different bulb in with the same result.

Any ideas why? I am obviously tripping it somehow...

Make sure you are using the correct bulb. T-90, 1142, Look and see how many contacts are in the socket.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  07:46:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What he said ^ One terminal is +, one is ground...wrong bulb will dead short you...stop signs are the same way.
Go to Top of Page

bknebel

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  1:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you know the + and -?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  1:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bknebel

how do you know the + and -?

That doesn't matter on the bulb, what matters if you put an 1156 bulb in the sockets that takes an 1147 or the T-90 bulb it will short out the circuit and blow the fuse every time. Been there, don't that, and hunted for hours trying to figure out the problem. The dome light bulbs are the same way on some IC buses with the child reminder system and automatic dome lights.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  06:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've had a problem with folks putting 1156's and 1141's in the dome lights and blowing fuses. You put 10 or 12 of those in the dome light circuit and the load blows the fuse.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000