Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 New Bus Mechanic Safety regulation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

albarbosa

6 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2018 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit albarbosa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does any District out there require their school bus mechanics to use a hard hat? Our District wants us to require them. Any thoughts, policies, pros or cons?

Edited by - albarbosa on 01/07/2018 3:28:20 PM

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  04:11:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by albarbosa

Does any District out there require their school bus mechanics to use a hard hat? Our District wants us to require them. Any thoughts, policies, pros or cons?

That would make things difficult working underneath and in confined spaces. Never heard of such a thing.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  05:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the bus is up on a lift and you are under the bus, it might be advisable. Otherwise, I don't see the need.
Go to Top of Page

exmod110

151 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  2:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit exmod110's Homepage  Reply with Quote
bump caps are becoming a norm in the automotive trade, too many head injuries.
Been there done that. Not as big a problem when ur rolling around on a creeper but it can still happen.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  1:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked at one place wanted us to wear a bump cap or the plastic insert for a ball cap but didn't really enforce it. I tried the ball cap insert but found it was too warm, no air circulation. They wanted us to wear head protection because at one location, one mechanic, bumped his so many times his skull was mush LOL
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2018 :  1:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Using a hard hat when necessary, like welding gloves or ear protection, should not be an issue. But wearing it all the time like safety glasses and steel-toe shoes would be a problem.

You're all wearing safety glasses, right?!
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  04:15:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

Using a hard hat when necessary, like welding gloves or ear protection, should not be an issue. But wearing it all the time like safety glasses and steel-toe shoes would be a problem.

My prescription glasses are safety glasses and I wear steel toe boots everyday.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  06:10:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I use to hate wearing them, I would only when needed for specific jobs. But now, as I am older, I wear them all the time ate work, they are bifocal ;) And have saved eye injury a couple of times when you would least expect it, not while doing something with a specific hazard.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000