Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Winter Fuel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  09:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just wondering what those of you in cold climates use for fuel blends and treatments. With this recent cold snap I was thinking about if I'm doing enough or too much with our fuel. Right now we have 70/30 blended fuel with cold flow in it plus I'm adding power service to it. All of our buses are parked in an unheated building plugged in.

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  09:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not that I don't trust our fuel supplier, but I still treat with Powerservice white bottle when it's under 30 or so. We had -25 chill here the last few nights and everything ran fine this morning. I'm showing NAPA still has it on sale for $5.99 for the 32 oz bottles (100 gallon). Very cheap insurance!
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  09:49:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of our busses are outside in the open and i just use Power Service. They're all plugged in. It's been -20 the last few mornings and we haven't had any problems.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  2:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We run premium fuel all year round, it,s blended for the forecast temps in our area. The only additives we use is occasionally in our transit units in extreme cold temps. We have few problems, if water in fuel light comes on it,s usually a sensor issue.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  05:07:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Propane doesn't jell. But for the diesels I have left, I depend on the supplier to keep me going. They are a very large company and I've told them that I have a big mouth if these buses jell up, everyone will know about it. In the 24 winters I've been through here, I jelled up one time....... This company lost the bid that year and the supplier I had got the same instructions I gave the other one,"you run a diesel truck, put in my tank what you have in yours". That statement didn't work for that supplier but has worked with the one I'm with for all these years.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

crmech7

51 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  05:47:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit crmech7's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Question for the below 30 Power Service - Can you use this if it's below 30 in the mornings but warmer in the afternoon? Or only if it's always below 30?
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  07:28:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We get all of our fuel from the local coop, it is a premium fuel and we've had pretty good luck. This time of year I'd prefer to run a 50/50 blend just for peace of mind but we get our fuel at the pump and everybody else whines about the extra cost of it so it's hard to get them to go more than 70/30.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  08:52:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had no problems with the PS product when it warms back up. We don't keep adding it when it's "warm" out but I know there are times the old spares are driving around in 75 degree temps with the stuff still in the fuel. You know those buses...the "Oh my God, we have to drag THAT thing out!!!"
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I know we have our first cold weather coming I make my drivers use the spares just to get them run down on fuel so I can get blended in!
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just dose them on the lot and add fuel if low. Hasn't bitten me yet. "Yet" being the key word.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  09:32:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mquiring

We get all of our fuel from the local coop, it is a premium fuel and we've had pretty good luck. This time of year I'd prefer to run a 50/50 blend just for peace of mind but we get our fuel at the pump and everybody else whines about the extra cost of it so it's hard to get them to go more than 70/30.

Who is "everybody"?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  09:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The truckers that fill there and want to get by as cheap as they can. Works out okay for them when you have heated fuel tanks and never shut the truck off or have aux power units that keep everything warm.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  11:16:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The truckers that fill there and want to get by as cheap as they can. Works out okay for them when you have heated fuel tanks and never shut the truck off or have aux power units that keep everything warm.

Personally, I wouldn't pay any attention to them. If your super is saying something about it I would try to explain to him/ her how the cargo we are hauling is perishable in extreme cold. Further, many news outlets and parents will have an opinion if you have a break down and that cargo is hurt.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

mquiring

79 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  1:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit mquiring's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree! I'm lucky that as long as our kids get to school safely our super pretty much lets me do whatever I need to make that happen without question. When they don't want to blend the way I want it I just remind them that the other much larger coop near us would love to put a tank in just for us and collect the $4,000 dollars a month I spend on fuel!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  1:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

When they don't want to blend the way I want it I just remind them that the other much larger coop near us would love to put a tank in just for us and collect the $4,000 dollars a month I spend on fuel!

Yep!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000