New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2018 :  2:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got this email today. A neighboring district had trouble with jelling. He got it fixed now though. I just found this humorous that I got this after those problems and the other cold weather things we've been talking about.

http://www.midwesttransit.com/cold-weather-maintenance/

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  06:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two neighboring schools are closed today because they can't keep buses running. Sadly, one of them pays big bucks to a dealership (not a bus dealer, think car & truck) for service and here they are.

It's only down to -6 windchill, not a monumental problem in my opinion if you crossed your i's and dotted your t's.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2018 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-10 deg all week and only 1 failed battery.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  1:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not had a fuel problem in over 20 years, and that time it was an early cold snap, -30C (-22F) in early December. Other than that, suppliers are good at adjusting the fuel for the temperature. We do not use any additives in our fleet unless we have a water problem with a specific unit. Back in my trucking days, early 80's I remember going into northern NY state in colder weather and you would see trucks froze up on the side of the interstate during a cold snap, the Canadian trucks didn't seem to be having a problem. When I did fuel in the US I would always put conditioner in.
So far this winter the only cold related problem was with batteries in one of our 2019 Visions.
I will knock on wood as winter isn't over yet :)
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2018 :  1:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last time we had a fuel issue was in the last county I worked in and it was at our new shop, well at the time 8 years old. Anyway we had buses stop running because the filters were plugging up the this waxey looking crap. Our shop foreman, dumb as a box of rocks, was saying it was from my shop since the tanks have been in the ground nearly 30 years. Well we changed our filters every 60 days. So the director ask the foreman when was the last time the filters at his shop were changed, he didn't have a clear answer and said the fuel pump guys changed them. So the director said lets go look. Ah, would you know, the didn't have any. THey had to have their tanks cleaned. Bwahahahaha.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2018 :  05:35:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

The last time we had a fuel issue was in the last county I worked in and it was at our new shop, well at the time 8 years old. Anyway we had buses stop running because the filters were plugging up the this waxey looking crap. Our shop foreman, dumb as a box of rocks, was saying it was from my shop since the tanks have been in the ground nearly 30 years. Well we changed our filters every 60 days. So the director ask the foreman when was the last time the filters at his shop were changed, he didn't have a clear answer and said the fuel pump guys changed them. So the director said lets go look. Ah, would you know, the didn't have any. THey had to have their tanks cleaned. Bwahahahaha.

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000