Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 IC bus dash fault list
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  06:16:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a list of the dash faults for an IC bus with a 6.7 cummins. My district will not purchase any software for me and it takes our dealer two weeks to get to anything. I currently have a bus with a 3614 fault. Thanks for any help

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  08:06:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Will probably need more info to even speculate... IC dash should have a FMI # and Source address(SA) # listed also Year of bus helps alot and sometimes VIN too..

I assume what you see when you punch steering wheel buttons is similar to below

SPN: 3614 FMI: ?
OC: ? SA: ?
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  09:08:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes please, more info. I looked at OnCommand and can't find anything under 3614 in the massive list of codes.

Kick your dealer or salesman's rear end and tell him to get you a login to OnCommand. Shouldn't cost you a dime.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2017 :  2:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys, I was going off of what the driver was telling me the fault numbers where, I knew I wasn't getting the FMI number but she couldn't understand what I was asking for, and evidently she cant see or read very well (incorrect numbers given), it was hard enough to explain to her how to get the codes to come up. She finally brought the bus down to the barn for me to take a look, she takes it home after every route. By the time she got it down here the check engine light went out but I checked the dash faults anyway...

Year:2018
VIN: 4DRBUC8L1JB521260

Faults: SPN FMI
active: 4000 2
IA: 1569 31
IA: 3361 4
IA: 3364 18
IA: 6144 17

I forgot to get the OC and SA numbers when I checked the codes, but she is already out on route. I am assuming the 3364-18 was the one that was active, she originally had a DPF (icecream cone) light on with the check engine light so I am assuming that it is for aftertreatment and needed to finish a regen.

This same bus has the engine brake but the light in the switch is flashing, does anyone know of anything to check for it so I don't have to send it to the dealer to grow roots?

Thomasbus24, I would love to kick our dealer in the @$$. they have another bus of ours down there now that it took a week and a half for them to just get it in the door, and that's with calling them every morning and afternoon to check status. I avoid bringing anything to them at all costs. I will be talking to them about OnCommand, I did not realize it is free, thanks!

Edited by - waverlybus on 10/10/2017 2:20:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  04:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4000 2 is "Exhaust Brake Enable Switch", no useful info other than "Take vehicle for service at your convenience". Seems like those are multiplex switches to me...got a twin you can swap switches with and see if the fault follows?

1569 31 is engine derate
3361 4 is DEF doser voltage below normal or shorted to low
3364 18 is DEF quality
6144 doesn't seem to exist haha

I see those engine codes from time to time and they resolve themselves every time. Working theory right now is that its from low voltage after initial start up in the morning, before the alternator wakes up and decides to come to work. I don't yet have Cummins software to really dig into them. Anybody else seen these and have an idea?

You aren't marked as needing any recalibration or field changes in the system.

Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  07:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you set yourself up with Quickserve? There is a space where you can look up those codes in SPN/FMI format and itll translate them. Also this is useful because when looking at throubleshooting guides Cummins is pretty good about prioritizing them or grouping them when issues arise that produce related fault codes. It may be harder to do without Insite but will inspire more confidence than a parts shotgun.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  10:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DEF quality, Take it to a dealer for warranty. the way the quality sensor is built, bubbles form on it and set the quality code and derate. The dealer will put clear shrink wrap or epoxy on the sensor and this will resolve the problem.

Edited by - bfaulkner on 10/12/2017 05:20:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2017 :  12:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, good tip bfaulkner...I'll file that one in my mind!
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  10:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep , like he said DEF don`t like air in the system.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  12:33:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thomasbus24, I found the switch for the engine brake was not fully seated into the multiplexing box. I had to remove the switch and bend the locking tabs out so they would fully engage the locks and the blinking stopped and engine brake is now working properly. One of the little buttons in the multiplexing box must be depressed at all times for the option to work properly and my switch was vibrating out just enough for the button to come out of the depressed position.
Thank you also for looking up my codes for me as well as suggesting OnCommand. I have spoken with my salesman at my dealer and he is setting up a time for their field coordinator to come out and set everything up for us.
krmvcs I will also be looking into Quickserve. I have worked with it along with Insite when I worked at a large over the road trucking company, so I am pretty well versed it what they can do but is it free? My district for whatever reason does not think we need to be paying for any diagnostic software for the buses, I have been barking up that tree for a while now, but that seems to be a common thing with school districts from what I have been seeing on here.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2017 :  12:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks bfaulkner, I will be looking into that as well!
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2017 :  07:17:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quickserve is free up to 5 ESN's I think. I cheat and just use one ESN for each group of buses based on model year, ie. 8 Cummins engines I only need to use 4 ESN's.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000