New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PrestonBus

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  08:56:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been fighting this for the last year.
Bus stalled. found IDM fuse in battery box burned (Not blown, but dark in color. Fuse holder NOT melted ).
Replaced fuse... bus runs fine for a month or two, then repeats.
replaced Clean Power cable. Dealer Replaced Module. Same thing 2 months later.
Been thru all the usual checks. fully unraveled harness sheathing and inspected wires and connectors. Even by-passed connector at front frame.
NOTHING is solving this issue.
Anybody have a fix for this?
Again, this is such a long drawn out interval, I cant find any tell-tale signs. Only way to prevent a shut-down is to change the fuse every month, but I dont need a sudden chassis fire either.

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  09:58:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry,what do you mean by clean power cable ? Everytime ive had this happen I replace the fuse holder itself and or adjust the tabs to tighten the connection , I don't think ive had it happen repeatedly though but I think sometimes it may come from the poor connection at the fuse . Another thing I would check though is the 2 pin power ? ground connectors around the engine starter area or top of trans we have a lot of issues with these and routinely cut them out and bypass the connectors there the same ones in the battery box itself we cut em all out due to issues .

Edited by - td83 on 05/31/2017 10:06:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

PrestonBus

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  10:06:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clean Power cable is the short battery cable with fuse holders integrated into it. Also called the battery Interconnect Cable

Saving the World...One school bus at a time.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  10:14:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Change the fuse holder to a MAXI fuse holder with a dedicated power wire to one of the batteries and your done, Have three 2006 DTs that did this. Don
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  10:33:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
drp53188 yea all of ours are maxi fuse holders with there own separate wires to batteries , didn't realize they didn't come like that from factory ..? only been in the bus shop for a few years must have all been changed before my time .
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  10:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^^ What he said. By just replacing the clean power cable with another OEM clean power cable, all your doing is replacing old junk with new junk.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000