Parking Brake Interlock
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  10:22:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/722596/brake-interlocks-missing-in-many-virginia-school-buses?utm_campaign=Newsline-Thursday-New-20170525&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

This strikes me as another solution to a problem that doesnt exist. What do you all think? Anyone in here working in Virginia?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  11:27:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This happened in Georgia a few years ago with IC buses and Rush trucks had to come and install the parking brake interlocks at no cost to the school districts since it was Rush's fault the buses were built without them.

Krmvcs,
Do you have these on your buses? What state are you in?

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  11:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The student could very easily fall, one hand on the park brake release, the other hand on the service brake. (Kids are very flexible) Then what, what precautions will be taken to prevent this?
Personally, I would feel much safer living in Virginia !!!
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  7:07:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually don't agree with new standards the states put into school buses, but this one I do agree with. We had a bus driver at her school picking up kids. She was parked, park brake engaged, door open, and kids were loading. She turned around in her seat to talk to a couple of the kids and she put her foot on what she thought was the dash. Well it ended up being the park brake and the bus started to roll. Luckily she noticed what she did and no one was hurt. This is just one example and the only one I've seen in the 5 years I've worked here. It's a simple retrofit and you shouldn't be releasing the park brake with your foot off the brake pedal anyways.
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2017 :  7:20:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I wrong or isn't the driver supposed to keep their foot on the brake to keep the brake lights on? If so the interlock is pointless.

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  04:10:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ICBUS07-30

Am I wrong or isn't the driver supposed to keep their foot on the brake to keep the brake lights on? If so the interlock is pointless.

The interlock is designed so the parking brake is not accidently released.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  07:43:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously you never watched cartoons.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Interlock system has been on my lift buses for last......10yrs. I am pretty sure it is FED reg or under ADA act...? not really sure on that.. As of today have been no major problems with the extra parts in that system, have worked wonderfully...The only thing that strikes my funny bone is when one of the locals borrows a bus their drivers cannot get park brake released.. I make a point to school the ones that pick bus up, but still normally get a call later that day sometimes when they already driven to where they were going and can't leave,lol...

Basically no different than most cars these days having to push brake pedal to get out of park. I agree with Ken that an accidental release would be almost impossible, Intentionally trying to release could be more of a problem..... I like them on special needs buses where driver is sometimes alone and having to be out of seat to operate lift.

This subject still falls under no matter how many laws are passed, someone will still figure out a way to get hurt or break it.... can't protect everyone from every little thing in life with laws and legislation. comes back more to the way parenting is done these days...

Edited by - slippert on 05/26/2017 07:53:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  07:58:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KRM,

It's not just because of kids accidentally releasing the parking brake but it ensures the driver has their foot on the brake when releasing them or a driver or anyone else just reaching in an releasing the brake.

I think we have had these on school buses here in Georgia since 2005 or so.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  10:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a driver not set his manual parking brake at the end of the day a couple weeks ago. The truck rolled across the parking lot, over 2 parking curbs, and through the fence. The only thing that kept it from going into and across the street was the barbed wire at the top of our fence.

An interlock wouldn't have helped, lol

I have an 06 IHC with the screwy WABCO system that sets itself when the key is off, and won't disengage the parking brake unless your foot in on the brake and you push the park brake release lever. Is that the interlock being described here? I can totally see the value in that in a school bus.
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  10:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
---we actually have been testing ours im in northern va , we repaired one yesterday from what we have seen the interlocks are there ...atleast this one was but came incorrect from factory basically bypassing the interlock now were checking them all .
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  11:24:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddo

I had a driver not set his manual parking brake at the end of the day a couple weeks ago. The truck rolled across the parking lot, over 2 parking curbs, and through the fence. The only thing that kept it from going into and across the street was the barbed wire at the top of our fence.

An interlock wouldn't have helped, lol

I have an 06 IHC with the screwy WABCO system that sets itself when the key is off, and won't disengage the parking brake unless your foot in on the brake and you push the park brake release lever. Is that the interlock being described here? I can totally see the value in that in a school bus.

Not the ones I have. These are only air brake and prevent the release of the parking brake without your foot on the brake. You got to stand on the pedal pretty hard too.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

AW

52 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2017 :  9:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/quote]
CA. and no, my buses are not equipped with this.
And just sayin, for a kid to "accidentally" release the parking brake would require an incredible series of events. I imagine a kid running full speed down the isle, tripping near the first seat, falling down and left, and then with their hand or head hitting that yellow knob hard enough to overcome the spring and release the brake. It seems all but impossible for this to be done unintentionally.
[/quote]

The track coaches in the district I drive for DEMAND that the buses be left open for the entire track meet. I've had students almost push the brake knob in with their knee or shin while using the student mirror to check their hair/make-up. Sometimes this happens while I'm sitting in the driver's seat, because they'll come up to the mirror 3 at a time and one will almost wind up in your lap.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  07:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
krmvcs, I apologize for your now-missing post that read:

"CA. and no, my buses are not equipped with this.
And just sayin, for a kid to "accidentally" release the parking brake would require an incredible series of events. I imagine a kid running full speed down the isle, tripping near the first seat, falling down and left, and then with their hand or head hitting that yellow knob hard enough to overcome the spring and release the brake. It seems all but impossible for this to be done unintentionally."

I was trying to quote you and ended up editing your post instead, so it ended up looking like my message was written by you. Feel free to mail me a slap across the face...
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2017 :  07:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ohio had a driver fatally injured during an emergency evacuation drill a couple of years ago. Several things were done wrong (not by the book) which was the root cause, but the most significant event was when a student released the brake, believing he/she was releasing the air door mechanism.

I see why some want interlocks, but I hate the ones on my lift CE's, mainly because I never mash the pedal hard enough the first time.
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2017 :  5:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
03's have them in GA

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  12:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School Buses without air brakes.
Years ago the Allison Transmission shift lever was located on the top of a two foot high pedestal fastened on the floor on the right side of the driver. Neutral and Drive were located on the same indentation slot and a student with band instrument in a case could easily bump the shift lever from Neutral to Drive as they entered the school bus. I modified and installed a two inch hinge with a slot cut in one side and the drivers were required to flip that side of the hinge over to lock the shift lever when idling in neutral while loading students coming out of the school building. My model was "YOUR CHILD'S SAFETY IS OUR FIRST CONCERN".

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  4:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a alot of the buses I deliver, I've seen service brake interlocks. Where if the service door is open the service brake automatically engages, until the door is shut and then it returns.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  06:14:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluebirdvision

On a alot of the buses I deliver, I've seen service brake interlocks. Where if the service door is open the service brake automatically engages, until the door is shut and then it returns.

I haven't seen this one yet, but I can understand why.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000