New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  05:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found this interesting. I will post it in the management section on this forum as well. However, this section sees the most activity and I think you guys are a very diverse group that would have good input on this topic.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/719931/consultant-district-partner-on-tool-to-assess-judgment-of-school-bus-driver-applicants?utm_campaign=Newsline-Tuesday-New-20170207&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Enewsletter

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  08:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From my experience, you have to judge each driver individually and not by age. We had a 25 year old driver we were going to fire because he acted like a kid driving the bus by doing stupid unsafe stuff. We have a driver in his mid 70's who is just awesome, we have another driver in her early 60's that needs to be retired.

I'm not sure how other states run training or training after you get you license, but here in Georgia you have so many hours of training, driving without students, driving with students before you are licensed. You have to pass a CDL general test, air brake, passenger and school bus endorsements. You have to pass a road test and a skills test. Once a year you have to have 2 hours of state given safety training, pass a physical and have a ride along check.
In addition here in our district and most that are neighboring to us the drivers all have a quarterly safety training day for about an hour.
Also Georgia department of Education requires that the school system or contractor technicians perform a 20 working day or monthly safety inspection on the bus. Georgia Department of Public safety conducts an annual safety inspection on each bus and places a sticker on it.
We have now started in the state, certifying and training school bus technicians on safety inspections to be a certified inspection and/or program manager.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  11:35:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how you can quantify "judgement" scientifically and legally without any specific, observed examples to draw from. This information can often be assessed in a good job interview with the right questions.

Hope they don't develop a judgement test for directors and supervisors...I might not make the cut some days. :)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  12:37:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am scheduled to talk to these people tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out. lol, I may not pass their test.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000