New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  04:30:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Driver seats seem to be the theme of the week, so I'm adding to it!

IS there a driver seat currently available that ISN'T a complete piece of crap?

Our Nationals break down quickly and the drivers' backs start hurting. Our Bostroms do it too.

Remember the big high backed plushy CE White that AmTran used a lot? http://www.hsmsolutions.com/markets/transportation/school-bus-seating/c-e-white/c-e-white-school-bus-seating/driver-bus-seats/

2nd one down... Is that any good? The first one?

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  05:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my issue after thinking about replacing the whole seat. In our litigious country, how can we be sure that the seat we are putting in is legal and won't get us in the slammer if our bus gets into an accident and the seat fails? This fact has slowed my repair of my current problem to a point that the driver is offering to pony up money to help. I have a friend who is a truck driver and he assures me that there is a seat out there that will satisfy the most finicky driver and last for the long haul. Price would be something entirely different though, lol. The long and short of this is, if we want to spend the bucks there's a seat that will work very well!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  06:10:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You do have to get a seat that will meet the FMVSS. I remember reading on some buses' build data about the seats being "Special school bus service, extra padding" or something like that.

I have a special needs driver who spends 49 hours a week in her seat. She says going from FE to conventional has been a god send but the seat (National air ride) still isn't the best option.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  07:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My question is can seat back foam be bought? It seems to be hit and miss, and I don't believe my district will want to open up different accounts with more vendors. We have a couple seats that have been affected by driver hygiene and I'm not sure that any amount of steam cleaning/shampooing is going to help these seats out and we may have to replace seat foams on the back and bottom along with covers.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  07:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^Yuck!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  07:58:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Ohio the drivers seat covers must be flame retardant too.

All the seats stink.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  08:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, at least for National and Bostrom, you can buy foam and covers for the backs.

Blue Bird #'s that I have:

4315826 Bostrom Back Foam
0117632 National Back Foam
0104232 National Back Cover (cloth, charcoal)

Verify fit before ordering of course!
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2016 :  3:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Thomasbus24. This is a Blue Bird bus that we're dealing with. This is very helpful.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  1:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We recently put in a new seat for a driver who complained of back pain. she loves it so much she hasn't stopped gushing about it in 4 weeks. We got it from our international dealer. not cheep at 600 but a nice seat.

It is designed for school buses. the front stays put and the back is what moved up and down to stop impact on your knees. comes with different material and color choices, optional armrests. easy installation.

Made by Seats Inc. the M100 model.
http://www.seatsinc.com/index.php/seat-models/school-bus-seating
Go to Top of Page

Elliot

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  6:04:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That Seats Inc is the kind I know as Eldorado from my trucking days. I bought my own and put it in the company truck (with their blessing of course). I love the way it pivots at the knees instead of going straight up and down. One time I was on vacation and another man drove it. He couldn't stop gushing about it either -- asked how I "rated" such a good seat. My two cents, is all.

Elliot
1992 Bluebird TC2000 FE, 5.9, MT643
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4545 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  03:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Assuming I get to go with IC again at next week's board meeting, they will have the Magnum seats. Bird and Thomas don't offer it (according to salesmen anyways).
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  05:19:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about this issue lately because of things that have happened recently that I cannot talk about right now. I have been well pleased with the Seats Inc seat that we got. I am equally impressed with the seat I've been getting with the new Blue Birds we are getting lately. I will be checking to see how much the option to put a Seats Inc into the new bus from the factory though.

You all might think about back issues with drivers when looking at these seats. I can say my thought process has changed recently.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

dwight

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2017 :  6:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A half Century ago we called them all Bostrom seats. Snowmobiles had a terrible rough ride back in the 1960s ('') and I had a 1969 SkiDoo T-N-T 399 and replaced the seat with a new Bostrom suspension seat that had two shock obsorbers with chrome coil springs and it rode like a Cadillac.('')
I gave it to a guy that said he was going to put it in a museum in Hershey, Pennsylvania.

20 SCHOOL BUS FLEET OWNER/OPERATOR (Retired)
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2017 :  07:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. I guess Bostrom has been in it a long time then. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

berkeleydude

17 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  07:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have had to replace seats with recarro's..... no complaints(except for the cost)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000