Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Blue Bird Roush V10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  05:41:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm getting bids for new buses for next school year. I'm seriously thinking about trying out BB with the Roush V10 gasoline engine. I would like your thoughts or experiences you guys have about the V10. I know the parts gotta be cheaper than diesel engine parts and no worries about DPF plugging up or regen not working etc. Tell me your thoughts to sway me to try out the V10 or not. Thanks.

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  06:05:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We got two BB with the Roush V-10 propane last year. We are just now getting them on the road due to getting our filling station set up so no reviews so far. From what I understand, until we have a little feedback on them they're not going to put them on a route, just use them for special trips.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  07:09:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seen some discussion about broken exhaust manifold studs.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  08:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have one with 54000 miles on it. We have had issues with broken exhaust manifold bolts but they have changed them and are holding now. Other than that no major problems.
They do wind up pretty high before shifting and that bothers some people but not really a problem. Mileage isn't too bad as ours got 3.6 early but after 45000 it came up to 4.3mpg. The driver makes a difference in that.
The other thing is the PTO drive at the front of the engine, i changed that at about 50,000 miles. Not really a big problem but they have had issues with them.
Cost per mile is much lower with cost of propane being as it is.
ED
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  09:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one that has over 65k on it with little trouble. I have four total but just took delivery of one Monday. The other two have 15k and 27k on them. These are all propane and I expect to get 250k to 300k on them before they are are retired. I will say that the oldest one has had it's fair share of warranty claims on body issues. I do not like the park brake. Of course we use it at every stop and it really wasn't designed for that. Some other issues I've had are muffler, headlights, driver seat belt, horn switch, e-window switches, among other issues. I did have the OPD malfunction on the propane tank and an issue with a fuel line coupling up over the engine. Oh, I do remember a motor mount problem we had (can't remember what exactly it was. Anyway, things are looking up for it and it couldn't be better timing. The warranty is up next month! Hope this helps.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  09:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I should add that the other two I mentioned haven't had near the issues that this one has. Seat belt on one and heater booster pump on one. I think maybe a heating element went out on a crossing mirror on one too.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  09:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So other than exhaust manifold bolts breaking and some other minor issues, the V10 sounds promising. I spoke with the Blue Bird mechanic that was out our way this morning and asked him his opinion, he said they have redesigned the heads and are pretty reliable and he would recommend it. No real major issues then, unlike the EGR cooler, turbos, regen, DPF, and other headaches that go along with diesel.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  10:34:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so far so good here if your going to keep them I would change all the exhust studs one at a time with ARP studs so it wont be an issue later down the road

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  10:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a BB with the gas engine here for a week. Was pretty darn nice.
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2017 :  11:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No gasoline here, but we have 6 of the propane units on the road with two more on order. We've had no problems after two school years. I'm not sure I'll every buy another diesel.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000