New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  05:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered when this would start. I guess the alternative fuels (read propane) are scaring Cummins. lol Let the battle begin! Let's hear your opinions! You can bet mine will come out. lol

http://www.thomasbus.com/about-us/news/bus-report/2017-01/benefits-of-diesel-surpass-expectations.asp?utm_source=schoolbusfleet&utm_medium=eblast&utm_content=hmh_sbf_eblast_jan2017_fs1_benefitsofdiesel&utm_campaign=tbb_2017_busreport_hmh

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  06:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably "scaring" Mercedes/Freighliner as much or more as they are getting set to roll out the "new Detroit™ DD5™ and DD8™ engines."

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  06:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

Probably "scaring" Mercedes/Freighliner as much or more as they are getting set to roll out the "new Detroit™ DD5™ and DD8™ engines."

Just like the politics in the US, the next few years in the school bus industry are going to be interesting. Speaking of politics, I wonder what the new policies of this administration are going to do to requirements for engine manufacturers?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JRob
Advanced Member

207 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  07:44:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit JRob's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would say that is more a reflection of Thomas having an issue vs. Cummins and that issue is their alt fuel programs are half-hearted. They offer products but no real commitment and their next new thing is the DD5. As to the crux of their argument, it's true. Diesel is very much better than it was with regards to emissions and it is the most efficient solution for many.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  08:21:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as I know Thomas/Freightliner have no plans to offer a gasoline powered version of the C2, that might be a large part of the motivation to release this article.

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  08:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many? "Some" would be a better word to use. Propane is a good solution for "many". The obstacle for some, in our industry, is change. The methods used in diesels to deal with EPA regs are, undoubtedly, necessary but we don't have to go that route now. Besides less fuel cost per mile historically (at this point in time the cost is about the same per mile) there are savings on fuel filters, oil, oil filters, & more. Long term, there are no particulate filters, turbos, expensive injectors, or EGR coolers to fail. For those who keep their buses for a long time, or put many miles on them, they would be better served with propane. The history of propane engines shows that they can last longer than diesel engines. In fact, I have seen at least one engine that outlasted three pickups. In short, this report is misleading at best. That, of course, is my opinion. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  08:37:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last line in the story says all: "Thomas Built Buses will continue to invest in technologies and innovative solutions that benefit our customers and the communities they serve, and we will continue to make diesel an even better solution for our customers now and into the future."

I believe this is just a puff piece to help introduce the new Detroit engine. Expect the same from International when the VW engine is formally announced.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  10:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Expect the same from International when the VW engine is formally announced.

VW? Air cooled? lol No more coolant issues! I might be a player on that one!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  11:57:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, now there's an idea!
Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2017 :  5:03:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does VW have any plans to do a "wet sleeve" air-cooled engine?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  06:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Long term, there are no particulate filters, turbos, expensive injectors, or EGR coolers to fail. For those who keep their buses for a long time, or put many miles on them, they would be better served with propane.

And you didn't even list the components involved with the SCR system that have caused us the most problems and expense.
We've developed a fear of owning 2010 emission diesels that are out of warranty.

Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  07:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Long term, there are no particulate filters, turbos, expensive injectors, or EGR coolers to fail. For those who keep their buses for a long time, or put many miles on them, they would be better served with propane.

And you didn't even list the components involved with the SCR system that have caused us the most problems and expense.
We've developed a fear of owning 2010 emission diesels that are out of warranty.

This only seems to be an issue with short routes and the typical stop/go pickups. My routes only have a couple of stops and then get 20+ miles of highway driving so i dont see any of the issues that you guys have had with your SCR units. So they work well for me.
This illustrates much of what Bwest has said about having options and competition. Not all district needs are the same and its great to have a variety of vehicles in production for us to choose from to best suit those needs.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  08:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by International-9.0

Does VW have any plans to do a "wet sleeve" air-cooled engine?

I literally laughed out loud!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  08:08:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

quote:

quote:

This only seems to be an issue with short routes and the typical stop/go pickups. My routes only have a couple of stops and then get 20+ miles of highway driving so i dont see any of the issues that you guys have had with your SCR units. So they work well for me.
This illustrates much of what Bwest has said about having options and competition. Not all district needs are the same and its great to have a variety of vehicles in production for us to choose from to best suit those needs.

It would be interesting to know the percentage of school buses that run the stop and go routes vs. the open road routes. The two 2010 IC buses I have with the DT and massive EGR are on the open road routes you are talking about. The rest of my routes, I think, would be considered the stop and go. I believe I remember people in our industry telling the EPA that these systems wouldn't fair well in most situations because of this very issue. But I digress.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  08:40:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

quote:

quote:

Our district is nearly 500 square miles averaging less than 3 kids per square mile, no short routes or stop and go pickups.

Edited by - Fastback on 02/01/2017 08:42:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  09:27:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]

Our district is nearly 500 square miles averaging less than 3 kids per square mile, no short routes or stop and go pickups.

Well, now this begs to be ask; What's the definition of a short/ stop and go route for our discussion here? I too work for a district that has lots of wide open spaces with few kids average per mile. Still, most of my routes don't travel much over a mile or two before stopping again. It is a tall order for a regen to get finished in a mile or two.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  09:54:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[i]

Well, now this begs to be ask; What's the definition of a short/ stop and go route for our discussion here? I too work for a district that has lots of wide open spaces with few kids average per mile. Still, most of my routes don't travel much over a mile or two before stopping again. It is a tall order for a regen to get finished in a mile or two.

thats what im sayin. if the route doesnt provide the opportunity for the system to work then youll be doing parked regens forever. and then maybe an alt-fueled bus would be a better fit. my routes are long (one gets 130 ish miles every day) and i have a diesel tank on site. so ill stick with it. thats all im sayin. (smiley face)

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  10:01:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My routes are long enough that we have never done a parked regeneration.
BUT we are not having trouble with the particulate traps, our expense and hassles is with the SCR system; NOX sensors, DEF doser, SCR catalyst & etc.
On second thought a correction; every time the Cummins man comes and tries something else to shut off the check engine lights & stop the derating on the SCR equipped buses he does a parked regeneration to see if the fault codes come back

Edited by - Fastback on 02/01/2017 10:07:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  10:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too have a diesel tank on site. Plus all the comfort that I'm hearing from others. That being, the familiarity of diesel. I can normally take about anything thrown at me. If our board didn't want to go propane, I would still be dealing with the problems you guys speak of often on here and taking care of it. However, I am also not afraid to go after what I want. That is the reason I have been so bullish on propane. I think the vast majority of school bus operators can see benefits by using propane. As I said above, I think the main problem with switching over is the fear of change. I think another problem is that, until recently, no one has been leasing them. Thomas is now doing leases.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  1:21:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have diesel on site but will be fueling two Thomas and two Bluebird(partner district) propane buses here next fall, buses on order, LP pump not yet.

Go to Top of Page

International-9.0
Advanced Member

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2017 :  6:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[i]

This emissions topic intrigues me. I have limited knowledge on any of the new emissions engines. Please forgive me if I make some incorrect statements.

I always thought that the worst thing for these systems was to idle the bus for long periods (at least for DPF). The best scenario would be to run high rpms/full load down the highway to get your exhaust temps up. This would allow passive regeneration to occur naturally and would not generally require manual/parked regens.

Even with alot of stops, heavy engine acceleration up to speed would help to get the exhaust warmed up, right? As long as the stops were short and you went at least a mile in between, wouldn't that keep the exhaust temps up? Or is highway driving the only way to prevent the problems?

As far as the SCR and DEF units, what type of driving is most preferable for them?

I have heard that the next step in diesels will be to reduce greenhouse gases, since particulates and nitrous oxides are at near zero levels now. Once possibility (not sure if things would ever by implemented this way) would be to reduce or eliminate the EGR system. This would improve fuel efficiency greatly and eliminate a very troublesome system. However, this would require injecting a much greater amount of DEF. Aside from additional cost that would cancel any fuel savings, I wonder if there would be negative consequences for using higher amounts of DEF?
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  04:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
[i]

Our district is a collection of small towns with school houses spread out among the towns, if the route don't get it done there is the 7 - 15 mile shuttle afterwards to another attendance center.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000