Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Blue Bird electric school bus.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  05:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't this be nice, but I imagine it would be an electrical nightmare when a warning light comes on. Most of us maybe retired before they get one the road though.

http://stnonline.com/news/latest-news/item/8307-blue-bird-awarded-4-4m-to-develop-electric-school-bus?utm_source=Copy+of+eNews+02.01.17&utm_campaign=STN+eNews+NAPT+2016&utm_medium=email

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  06:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Humm, I don't think I'll be retired by 2019! I have reservations about electric. Fist off, they aren't zero emissions. Second, the cost has historically been out of reach to really make them work in a budget of all but the most wealthy school districts. Third, I think the maintenance would be a nightmare including life of the batteries. I am, none the less, intrigued by the notion of putting "electricity back into the grid, which could bring much-needed funds to school districts".

I guess we need to stay tuned. Thanks for posting. I'll make it "sticky".

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  06:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree, they're not zero emission. Think of a fleet of 300 or more, if a district could afford that many I'm sure they won't be cheap. But imagine a fleet that size and the power they would consume to charge them up assuming they're all electric, and not to mention the batteries they'll go through.
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  06:38:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone has one being tested at Transportation Research Center down the road from me right now. Wish I could find out who's it is, but TRC is VERY tight lipped.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  07:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

Humm, I don't think I'll be retired by 2019! I have reservations about electric. Fist off, they aren't zero emissions. Second, the cost has historically been out of reach to really make them work in a budget of all but the most wealthy school districts. Third, I think the maintenance would be a nightmare including life of the batteries. I am, none the less, intrigued by the notion of putting "electricity back into the grid, which could bring much-needed funds to school districts".

I guess we need to stay tuned. Thanks for posting. I'll make it "sticky".

Ditto! These buses would surely require people like us to get PhD's in motor controllers and the like. Though cost savings on fluids and filters is a plus.
Im a bit confused about the "back to the grid" part though as it seems like a reach to describe it as much of a benefit as they do. I get the cost savings charging during off peak hours, but if youre going to use your bus to power the office then why not just build a battery storage shed for that purpose? when is that bus 'NOT' being charged for use? and if you use it for power back to the grid how much power do you have left for a route?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  07:43:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Someone has one being tested at Transportation Research Center down the road from me right now. Wish I could find out who's it is, but TRC is VERY tight lipped.

Lion? I know they have some electric buses on the road but I have heard range is a problem.
You still need fuel on board for the heaters. Not sure what they do for AC in the parts where it is needed.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  07:55:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torque

quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Lion? I know they have some electric buses on the road but I have heard range is a problem.
You still need fuel on board for the heaters. Not sure what they do for AC in the parts where it is needed.

It's gonna be tough to squeeze out good mileage from the batteries when the A/C is cranked up with a full load of kids. I'd hate to be the guy who has to write the program for that part of the build.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  11:18:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Under **ideal** conditions, electric buses may work out OK.
But here in the cold of winter the batteries don't last as long. There in the heat, you need to run AC, shortening the life of the batteries :)
I don't think you should be worried about troubleshooting theses systems. I Imagine they are microprocessor controlled. There will be codes, you will have to check current and voltage at a few spots and then repair the wiring, replace the motor or batteries, replace the controller or circuit boards inside, much like we do with engine controllers, transmission controllers, body controllers etc now.
Much easier in the end, 1 system to deal with, electrical.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000