New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  2:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned in another thread, Jackson received 5 new buses with, among other things, red lights above all the emergency exits. They're on when the headlights are on (that's gotta be fun on in the dark), but I don't think they come on when the door or exits are opened (figure that out).

For my fellow Ohioans: Is this a new state spec? I was told that we almost had to retrofit all the buses with these lights, but somehow got away without having to do so.

For everyone: Who else has this feature on their buses?

Ryan's School Bus Yard--www.busman49.com
RSBY gift shop--www.busman49.com/store.html

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  3:31:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been ordering those for many, many years. They are there to highlight the emergency exits during hours of darkness. Should a collision occur where an emergency exit is necessary, they are easy to find.
Retrofitting should be a minimal cost and time issue since they can be wired from the tailights in the rear or marker lights on the side. Hope this helps.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  3:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Broward County Schools has retrofitted some of their buses with amber lights below the emergency exit. They are at the bottom of the rear emergency exit door. I think I may have a photo of one.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  5:21:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All of our newer buses have them now. They can get VERY VERY ANNOYING AT NIGHT WHEN YOU ARE ON A LONG TRIP. When our band rides and has late nights and you want to sleep that light can annoy you to DEATH. They are not allowed to cut it off it has to be on at night. Someone calls it the Red Light Special.

~BlueBird44~
Remember Bus Drivers play the most important role in a student's day.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  5:21:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I understand... the red lights above the emergancy doors is a New York State spec. They are only above the rear emergancy door and left hand side emergancy door.

I completely support them... since they maximize the finding of the exits in an emergancy situation. I also feel that lighted up operating instructions should be added... so everyone will know how to open the doors... and even emergancy windows.

I have a question now. Are the emergancy exit hatches glow in the dark? Just wondering.

-Richard Solano

My Online School Bus Store: http://museummiddle.tripod.com/schoolbuscentral/id18.html

My School Bus Webpage: http://museummiddle.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  5:23:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beat me by a second BlueBird44. LOL.

-Richard Solano

My Online School Bus Store: http://museummiddle.tripod.com/schoolbuscentral/id18.html

My School Bus Webpage: http://museummiddle.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  5:43:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Broward buses have "de-acceleration" lights on the rear that are amber. Those are activated when the driver removes pressure from the accelerator to let people know when they begin to slow down. Kind of like some transit buses. It is a "Pet Project" of Fleet Manager Tom Warfield. The red lights we are speaking of are inside the bus. Hope this helps.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Joe Hartnett
Advanced Member

USA
359 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  5:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they are ICC regulations. A white "standee" line on the aisle flooring to the rear of the drivers seat is another one.

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  5:47:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Broward buses have "de-acceleration" lights on the rear that are amber. Those are activated when the driver removes pressure from the accelerator to let people know when they begin to slow down. Kind of like some transit buses. It is a "Pet Project" of Fleet Manager Tom Warfield. The red lights we are speaking of are inside the bus. Hope this helps.
Joe

Oh ok. I was wondering what those lights were. I noticed them on the buses when I visited one of their compounds. Not all the buses had them, only some conventionals. Are they apart of some study to prevent collisions from people following too closely to the back of the bus?

As far as the red lights, now I know what you're talking about. We only have those on our lift buses.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  05:02:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like many Districts, Broward has suffered NUMEROUS rear end collisions. The lights are, in fact, a test to see if they may help prevent some of them. Results aren't final, but early statistics seem to indicate that they help somewhat.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  06:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I received several buses with a bright red light above the emergency exit by mistake in California. They where very bright and glaring. At night this glare can hinder visibility and be a potential hazard from where I see it. Since not required they where removed.

PHW

Go to Top of Page

Brian M. Babcock
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  09:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brian M. Babcock's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
For my fellow Ohioans: Is this a new state spec? I was told that we almost had to retrofit all the buses with these lights, but somehow got away without having to do so.

Sorry Ryan,

I would have answered you sooner but I haven't been checking in too much lately. To answer your question, Yes. The red lights are a new Ohio spec that started in (I think) June 2001. Personally, I don't like them. I know that NY has had this spec. for a quite while now also. They would be better (but not great) if they were a softer color like blue or something. Oh well, there here now I guess.

-Brian

http://montell305.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  09:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it's state spec, but every bus in CT I've seen has them. They're usually shaped like one of the clearance lights, and are on the same circuit as the cl lps.

By the way, speaking of Cl Lps, I was told the other day that on buses with the rectangular marker lights with 2 bulbs, Laidlaw only uses one bulb per light. Anyone else heard of this? I was following a Laidlaw bus that just had one side of each light lit, and I asked the driver, she said that's the way it's supposed to be.

—Phil

"Blue Bird!" "of happiness?"
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  12:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not all of those "double" lights has space for two bulbs. Some do. Many give the appearance of having two bulbs inside when actually they do not.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2002 :  12:38:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I don't think you can even buy them with two bulbs. All the catalogs and buses I've seen with them have only had one bulb socket.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."
-Unknown

Edited by - The BusBoy on 06/01/2002 10:07:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  2:02:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They should make a chrome cover that goes over the light with the words "EXIT" cut into it (so the red shines through) and the bottom cut open to light up the actual door. I think that would be a pretty good setup! what do you guys think?

It might be a little easier on the eyes at night!

Jordan.

"Wayne Buses ~ Rest In Peace."

Edited by - skoolbus guy on 06/02/2002 2:04:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2002 :  2:08:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to complicate things. Head toward the red light and you'll be headed to the emergency exits!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  5:53:40 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our South Carolina buses do not have the red lights over the emergency doors. I think they are a good idea. Even our new buses, which by the way, are few and far between, dosen't have that feature.

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000