New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  5:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at this different International at the dealer and it had a different door opener. It was a manual but it wasn't the normal black handle. And behind the handle was a whole bunch of switches. When did they put these here and what for? Warning lights?? ALso on the outside it had a big handle that said pull in case of emergency. I was mad I didn't have my camera to take pictures but I wasn't expecting to go here. Next time I go and it is there I will take a picture.

BlueBird44-Anyone can drive a vehicle but it takes someone special to drive a School Bus

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  04:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We spec our buses in Maryland like that. The We mount our warning light switches behind the manual door control in the center of the dash board. However, on the newest buses, we spec air doors, and their is a push pull switch for the door in place of the manual door.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  1:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jared,
Yeah I was thinking it might be going to Maryland company. The place I looks sells the Blue Birds for Delaware and part of Maryland. I notice most of the Maryland buses have yellow doors. OR all. I guess they got this one for someone in Maryland or to sit on the lot for anyone and be sutitable for a Maryland route.

BlueBird44-Anyone can drive a vehicle but it takes someone special to drive a School Bus
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  2:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
other key characteristics of MD buses, are the more black around the warning lights, and the logo is placed above the passenger window, not the door ( which is always yellow by way ).

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  6:25:02 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote

Virginia also specs their buses to have the warning light controlls to the right of the driver. Virginia also specs their buses NOT to have the body logo on the side. SO, if there is NO logo, then it could be a Virginia bus.

Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  3:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The switches would be for the warning lights, like mentioned above. The exterior "pull in case of emergency" handle sounds like the device Corbeil is putting on their new buses. It is a release for the emergency door that can be operated from the entrance door in the event of an accident. I have never heard of any other bus body using these emergency handles except for Corbeil though...

Jordan.

"Wayne Buses ~ Rest In Peace."

Edited by - skoolbus guy on 03/03/2002 3:57:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  4:45:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I've seen those handles on a lot of buses, just not bright red with an "emergency" label. Thomas and Wayne I know offered them, around here we only use them for when you close the door too fast and lock yourself out. They're usually less obvious, a yellow or chrome handle under the windshield.

—Phil

Formerly Phil4747, still a fan of Crowns and Blue Birds!
Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  5:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually, I've seen those handles on a lot of buses, just not bright red with an "emergency" label. Thomas and Wayne I know offered them, around here we only use them for when you close the door too fast and lock yourself out. They're usually less obvious, a yellow or chrome handle under the windshield.

—Phil

Formerly Phil4747, still a fan of Crowns and Blue Birds!

Oh, okay! I didn't realize we were talking about the door latch release handle. I have never seen a red one before. That is strange...

Jordan.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2002 :  5:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't a red handle it was crome and very big and noticble. I wouldn't like it on my School Bus.

BlueBird44-Blue Bird keeps on rolling.
Go to Top of Page

skoolbus guy

Canada
160 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  09:47:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It wasn't a red handle it was crome and very big and noticble. I wouldn't like it on my School Bus.

BlueBird44-Blue Bird keeps on rolling.

What bus body was it? Where exactlly was this chrome button at? By the door? Under the windshield?

Jordan.

Edited by - skoolbus guy on 03/04/2002 09:51:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  3:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IT was a 2002 Blue Bird International. The Opener was under the windsheild. It was big as life. I think it is pretty ugly.

BlueBird44-Blue Bird Built For the Job.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2002 :  6:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Now, is this like a plunger type thing like on the Corbeils, or a handle lever thingy?

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Suburbia is where they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them." - A bumper sticker
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2002 :  3:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never seen one on a Corbiel. If you have seen a Emeregency Door Opener on a Carpenter/Crown it a longer handle like that striaght it pretty big and it is silver.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  03:29:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I've never seen what you are describing on a Blue Bird, but this is Corbeil's... http://corbeilbus.com/english/features/door.html

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Suburbia is where they cut down all the trees and name the streets after them." - A bumper sticker
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2002 :  12:23:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same area but not the same thing. This is a handle. If am planning on going to the dealer this weekend if it is still there I will take a picture.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  5:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I finally got the picture on to my website so I can share it with the rest of you. The link is... www.geocities.com/bus44crazy/BlueBird3800

~BlueBird44~
Remember Bus Drivers play the most important role in a student's day.
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2002 :  6:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting those photos BlueBird44.

That's a nice looking CV200!!!

I think that the emergancy door handle is a good idea... however, it wouldn't be good in some cases because people could pull it as a prank.

That GMC BB looks sharp with the black grill!!! I like that look!!!

-Richard Solano

My Online School Bus Store: http://museummiddle.tripod.com/schoolbuscentral/id18.html

My School Bus Webpage: http://museummiddle.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

newbeetlebugblue2000
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  08:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit newbeetlebugblue2000's Homepage  Send newbeetlebugblue2000 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a question for you. Is Blue Bird the only body company that puts key locks on the outside of their entrance doors? I may be just a school student but a bus driver who keeps her bus at home tossed me the keys to her bus to have me unlock the entrance door of the bus and it was a bear to get into. And, if it matters, that bus is a 1996 GMC Blue Bird.

Ryan Lane
schoolbus@email.com
www.plain.lib.oh.us/PCPLPizzaPirates.htm
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  09:05:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have a question for you. Is Blue Bird the only body company that puts key locks on the outside of their entrance doors? I may be just a school student but a bus driver who keeps her bus at home tossed me the keys to her bus to have me unlock the entrance door of the bus and it was a bear to get into. And, if it matters, that bus is a 1996 GMC Blue Bird.

The entrance door locks, such as the one on that '96 GMC/Blue Bird you're talking about, is optional equipment offered by every school bus body manufacturer that I am aware of.

Go to Top of Page

newbeetlebugblue2000
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  09:17:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit newbeetlebugblue2000's Homepage  Send newbeetlebugblue2000 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The entrance door locks, such as the one on that '96 GMC/Blue Bird you're talking about, is optional equipment offered by every school bus body manufacturer that I am aware of.

Ok Bob. Thanks! I had those bus keys in my hand Monday, Memorial Day.

Ryan Lane
schoolbus@email.com
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  12:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My contractor's 1996 Thomas SAF-T-Liner MVP EF's have those locks... and I heard that they work excellent.

Must depend on the service they get and the manufacturer.

-Richard Solano

My Online School Bus Store: http://museummiddle.tripod.com/schoolbuscentral/id18.html

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know of a Crown By Carpenter, Blue Birds, Carpenters, Thomas's that all have locks in some way.

There this really cool one on The 1988 Thomas Saf-T-Liner ER. When he turns the key the key then opens the door all the way!! I really like that one.

~BlueBird44~
Remember Bus Drivers play the most important role in a student's day.
Go to Top of Page

BusBoy
Top Member

USA
2042 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2002 :  6:58:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusBoy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That handle looks alot like a vandalock!

Go to Top of Page

newbeetlebugblue2000
Advanced Member

USA
271 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2002 :  09:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit newbeetlebugblue2000's Homepage  Send newbeetlebugblue2000 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My contractor's 1996 Thomas SAF-T-Liner MVP EF's have those locks... and I heard that they work excellent.

Must depend on the service they get and the manufacturer.

-Richard Solano

It must depend on the kind of maintenance they get because when she tossed me her bus keys and had me go unlock the doors, I fought with the bus doors for 5-10 minutes. Sure is a pain the butt. It was bear.

Ryan Lane
schoolbus@email.com
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I drive a 1995 Thomas Safe-T liner and our entrance doors lock. They are a pain to lock and unlock, especially if they are not oiled properly and I dont think mine has been oiled since 1995!!!!

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  5:25:08 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our warning light switch on all of our buses is located on the instrument panel. I have only seen one bus, an old activity bus, which was a Blue Bird that had the warning switches behind the door handle. I would not like that - I like mine where it is, beside my seat for easy reach, right beside my air door switch, which is a real blessing! As far as the handle on the outside of that bus, I assume it is to release the entrance door incase of an emerency if the driver is out or something like that - ever seen that before.

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000