Question about the Master Flasher and lights
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LaidlawDriverMassachusetts

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  5:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone in here happen to know why on some busses - when you have the Master Flasher switch on - and you open the door the red lights come on - but in other busses - when you have the master flasher on and open the door the reds don't come on automatically - you have to acivate the Yellow flaser switch before the reds come on - ? Obviously you activate the yellows before you load/unload- I think all busses- when the master switch is on - the reds should come on even if they yellow flasher button is not pushed - In case a driver forgets to activate the yellows by accident .. This way the lights will still come on .... Yesterday at one of my stops -- I don't know how it happened I got distracted - A Kindergarten kid was asking me a question and I must have forgot to put my yellows on but on both ocassions I realized it and set the reds - --

Does anyone know How i can make my red lights come on even if the yellows are not activated accidentally this way i will always have reds -

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2002 :  6:15:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It all depends on state requirements and how the bus is speced. Sometimes you will be able to change the setting and sometimes you cannot. My 8 light convertor flasher has the option for both settings. If you move the wire to one connection, the reds will come on with the door no matter what. If you move it to the other connection, the reds will come on only when the yellow switch is pressed. I have it set for the second one I listed so that I'd be in accordance with state laws. A bad thing about the first option is at rail road crossings. You don't want your reds turning on at those.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Today is the first day of the rest of your life."
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  3:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the current bus I ride, which is a 1996 Thomas/International, once the door is opened, with or without ambers, the reds will automatically turn on, and flash. The only way to shut them off is by using the "Off" feature on the amber rocker switch.

I believe this is a New York State law.

"School Buses... an American Tradition!"

My school bus store: http://museummiddle.tripod.com/schoolbuscentral/id18.html

My school bus webpage: http://museummiddle.tripod.com

Edited by - bluebird4ever on 06/12/2002 3:19:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In CT the reds come on any time the door is open and the Master switch is on. It doesn't matter if the ambers are on first. However, if you turn off the Master switch, the door can be opened without the lights on.

—Phil

"Blue Bird!" "of happiness?"
Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  7:11:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think PA has any requirments to red flashers. On one of the buses I used to ride, when the door was opened and the ambers were NOT activated, the red flashers wouldn't flash. But my new bus I have now, they will flash with the door opened, but not activated by the ambers. Back in the days when we had the old GMC Blue Bird's (1980'S), they didn't have a master switch. Was it like that for most Blue Birds in those years?

What next will happen in this crazy circus?!
Go to Top of Page

Wolf4dk

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2002 :  8:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LaidlawDriverMassachusetts,

The busboy is correct. There is a seprate connection on the flasher unit inside the side panal. If you want it to come on all the time you have to change the wire that goes to the flasher to the right plug in. It's not hard to do at all. It's just a matter or reading where on the flasher unit you have to have it connected too.

I have changed some of our busses to work only after activating the amber lights. I did this to busses that the driver tend to "forget" to shut off the master switch when exiting the bus. Otherwise the rest are setup to work all the time. As far as I know (and reading threw our inspection checklist for the state of MN) we do not have any regulations as to when the reds must work. And they haven't said anything about the busses we have switched over.

Hope this helps.

Wolfie

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In South Carolina, all of our buses, no matter what make are designed for the reds to activate only after amber warning lamp switch is pushed. Like someone else said, at RR crossings, you dont want your red lights to flash. On our newer buses, we are equipted with a CSA (Child Safety Alarm) which is a really loud alarm (beeping) when the door is closed. This is to warn studetns the bus is moving.

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000