Blue Bird Vision wiper problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  06:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be kinda a confusing story but I'll try to explain it the best I can. We've got a 2005 Blue Bird Vision that when the driver's side wiper is activated (single switch for both wipers) with the switch turned on then turned off it will continue to run until the motor shuts it off. You never know when it'll actually work correctly, this is an intermittent problem and one thing I've noticed is that it doesn't matter how long the wipers are cycled, this doesn't happen every time we use the wipers, just some of the time. I don't think there's a problem with the switch because the passenger side wiper works like it should, the drivers side is the only one with the problem... Anyway, anyone else had this issue?

I hope to become a diesel technician at my local transportation department - Rogers Public Schools, plus what I learn here will help me out later on when I'm working on the buses in the future.

Edited by - International96 on 03/18/2014 10:08:08 AM

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  07:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the "park" position in that wiper motor may not be functioning correctly.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 03/18/2014 07:22:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  07:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds as if it is functioning correctly to me. What I'm saying is these motors are not synchronized or anything so there is probably one that is ahead when the switch is shut off. So as a result it will go ahead and run (until it reaches park) when the other one has already made it to the park position. Could be wrong though.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  08:05:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryan, you're correct to an extent, it'll run for I think up to two maybe three minutes after you shut the switch off. Sometimes it'll catch when you shut it off and sometimes it won't. Kinda wierd to be honest.

Fastback, I figured it'd have something to do with that... Aren't the park switches built in to the wiper motor? And are they replaceable, or do you have to replace the entire unit?

International all the way!
Jesus is the answer... 'Nuff said! Formerly 96AmTranRE.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  08:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by International96

Bryan, you're correct to an extent, it'll run for I think up to two maybe three minutes after you shut the switch off. Sometimes it'll catch when you shut it off and sometimes it won't. Kinda wierd to be honest.

Fastback, I figured it'd have something to do with that... Aren't the park switches built in to the wiper motor? And are they replaceable, or do you have to replace the entire unit?

They are in the wiper motor, as far as I know, replacing the motor will be the fix. If you have the time you might try tinkering with it

Edited by - Fastback on 03/18/2014 08:10:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

International96

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  08:15:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
10-4. I don't drive the bus but I ride it, I'll be sure to let my driver know. It's a good thing he takes his bus home so I bet he'll probably take a more closer look at it.

Thank ya'll for the help, I appreciate it! God bless!

International all the way!
Jesus is the answer... 'Nuff said! Formerly 96AmTranRE.

Edited by - International96 on 03/18/2014 08:16:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2014 :  09:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I didn't know it ran that long. I would be sure to check the connection at the motor first. It might be that simple. Good luck in your future. One bit of advise from someone who has worked on these yellow beasts for over 20 years; be sure to include business management in your college courses. That is the one thing I regret to this day. I never got an associate's degree, only a diploma from a trade school. While it has served me well all these years, I can't help but think that a degree from a community college or university would have gotten me a lot farther along especially when time catches up with you (me) and you are thinking it may not be a good thing to be turning wrenches when you're 60 or 70 some years old. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2014 :  7:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think you will find this is the same as other bluebird pulse wiper switches for many years. The wiper switch may have a single knob, but is in effect two switches with separate circuits for each motor.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2014 :  05:11:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Mc

I think you will find this is the same as other bluebird pulse wiper switches for many years. The wiper switch may have a single knob, but is in effect two switches with separate circuits for each motor.

Interesting, you may be on to something. May be more likely the source of an intermittent problem than the wiper motor.

Go to Top of Page

matts4290
Advanced Member

224 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2014 :  04:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit matts4290's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree about the motor. I've added single intermittent switches to 3 of my buses (1 had dual intermittents, 2 had dual non-itermittent). I had some issues with erratic wiper control right before the left motor shorted and fried itself, but the erratic control was on both wipers. I think the extra load confused the microprocessor in the switch.

I know there are diodes on the high and low side so the park doesn't back feed and keep the other motor running when one parks.
The park wire for both wipers goes to one terminal on the switch, so that is combined.
If I've ever had one keep running, it was because it was ahead and only ran 1 extra cycle. That diode could be bad, but I'd still bet on a motor replacement would fix it.

We can't all be conventional!
http://www.youtube.com/user/matts4290
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000