CV200, CAT 3116, intake heater
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
1996 Blue Bird Chevy CV200 with the mechanical CAT 3116. I need to learn about diagnosing the intake heater because the bus is pretty hard to start. Once it is warmed up, it runs like a champ. From day one I was puzzled by its heater pump switch because I could not find a heater pump on the bus. Turns out, its previous owner/driver had wired the solenoid for the intake heater through that switch. I found that solenoid had gone bad, so I replaced it. It was still hard to start, so are there ways I can check that the heater is actually working? Should I feel warmth on the manifold? How long do they typically run for these buses? The only winter driving I did in CV200s was with the electronic 3126.

Also, I would like to return it to automatic control. What is responsible for its OEM control? I found two modules under the dash, neither with labels. One is white, below the chassis relay and maxifuse center. The other is black, mounted on an angle, near the transmission shifter.

Thanks for your help!

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  7:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've still got a book on that engine. I'll try and look at it in the morning & let you know.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My book says the module is located on the left rear of the head. It takes signals from both the oil pressure and temp sensor. Three conditions must exist for it to operate before starting; the ignition on, coolant below 65F, timer hasn't gone past 30 seconds. When the module sends a signal it is set to last 30 seconds before shutting off. After then engine starts it has to see oil pressure to keep sending a signal to the solenoid. Hope this helps.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  07:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heater pump is to push coolant to the rear heater of the bus. Has nothing to do with the intake heater...

-Jon

1987 Thomas International DTA360 5 Speed w/ 4 speed aux, air brakes
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  08:26:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by txstreetman

Heater pump is to push coolant to the rear heater of the bus. Has nothing to do with the intake heater...

quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Ford 85-16

I was puzzled by its heater pump switch because I could not find a heater pump on the bus. Turns out, its previous owner/driver had wired the solenoid for the intake heater through that switch.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

txstreetman

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:00:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit txstreetman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Haha, wow I didn't read that right... Wonder why they made it manual? It's not necessarily bad...

-Jon

1987 Thomas International DTA360 5 Speed w/ 4 speed aux, air brakes
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2014 :  09:26:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prob didn't know how to fix it or determined that it was going to cost too much. I can fix a lot of stuff on the cheep, and do at home, but in a school bus you are better off in the long run to do it correctly. Correctly can be different than factory if it is an improvement or equal to.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000