Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 International Diesel: To E or not to E?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2002 :  9:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that. Couldn't hep mehself. When did International come out with the E designation for thier diesels? I understand the E stands for electric.? i.e. DT466E. What is the difference between the E series vs. the pre E? I would imagine there are some who prefer one over the other. Would love to hear some perspectives on the pluses and minuses or pros and cons or what have you regarding the pre and post E International diesels.

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  04:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "E" designation refers to electronic engine controls and began in 1997. Pre '97's were mechanical controls. Doesn't really matter which one you prefer, only electronic engines are available due to new emissions standards beginning in '97 and newer regs still in 2001. The mechanical engines are simpler but not as efficiect. Technology is a wonderful thing, but training has to keep up and costs keep rising.... The air is cleaner and we're healthier as a result, or so they tell us.
Joe

Edited by - wagonmaster on 03/08/2002 04:44:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  07:06:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe. I've been reading some posts about electronic DT's in the garage forum and I see what you mean about training and costs for the newer efficient computer controlled engines.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  3:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I think that International was making electronic diesel engines before 1997.

The T444E came out in 1994, I believe. At that time, you could order a DT360 (for a limited time), a DT408, or a DT466. Those three were mechanical (non-electronic) diesel engines.

In 1995, I remember seeing the DT466E and DT466E High Torque models. I believe the 530E also came out this year. I have brochures from International which I received in 1995 from a trucking show I attended. In these brochures were the T444E, DT466E, and 530E.

The DT466 was available up until 1997, when it was replaced by the DT466E. By 1995, the DT360 and DT408 were discontinued.

As a matter of fact, the DT466E has yet again be renamed. It is again known as the DT466 (and the 530E is known as the 530 again), even though they are both electronic diesel engines.

I just figured I would share some of my knowledge with you about what I know regarding your topic. Hope this helps!

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  5:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob is correct. Thanks for pointing that out. The electronic engines were available earlier, the year I gave you were the years they became standard.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2002 :  7:24:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bob is correct. Thanks for pointing that out. The electronic engines were available earlier, the year I gave you were the years they became standard.
Joe

Not a problem, Joe. Glad I could be of help.

Pretty much all of the diesel engine manufacturers had to "clean up their act" by 1997 for the new emissions standards. I think they were also revised last year again. International seems to be moving ahead very nicely with their low-emissions diesel engines.

Go to Top of Page

Debusguy

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  05:04:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of these new engines, has anyone acquired the computer(s) to do in-house adjustments and diagnostics? We have been told that a special lap-top is needed. We have accessibility to older lap-tops, however..wouldn't it just be a software issue? LM

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2002 :  3:17:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any computer will work providing it has adequate capacity. We have a couple of laptops, but recently I went to the surplus warehouse and picked up a computer and a "roll around" cart for each shop. We loaded the software and now we just roll the computer to the vehicles! These are super and much cheaper than additional laptops!
Joe

Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2002 :  09:10:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEY DEBUSGUY
SEVERAL YEARS AGO I WENT TO A CLASS ON INT. ELECTRONICS. AT THAT TIME THEY WERE SAYING THAT THEY (INTERNATIONAL) WOULD NOT GUARRANTE THAT THIER SOFTWARE WOULD WORK UNLESS YOU USED THE FIELD WORKS COMP. THAT WAS USED BT THE MILITARY. THEY WERE RUGGED AND EXPENSIVE AS HELL. SINCE THEN EVERYONE FOUND OUT THAT ANY LAPTOP WOULD WORK WITH THE RIGHT PROGRAMS TO RUN IT.

Go to Top of Page

FireTruckWrench

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2002 :  8:02:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, most shops, mine included, use the Pro-Link hand-held scanner. This tool works with all older and current production units. It provides the very same data, just no graphics.

HTH!

"If you have it, it came on a truck. Have you hugged a Diesel Mechanic today?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000