General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 School Bus Dimensions (70' long?)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

m winters

2 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  07:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit m winters's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am a landscape architect who frequently works on new/remodeled school sites where we design parking lots and bus drop-off areas. Recently I heard from someone that a school district in our state (MI) has begun using 70' long buses! Is this possibly true? A 70' bus? We typically plan for a full size bus to be 40'+/- long. I have heard that a new 45' bus is soon to be on the market though. Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  08:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am a landscape architect who frequently works on new/remodeled school sites where we design parking lots and bus drop-off areas. Recently I heard from someone that a school district in our state (MI) has begun using 70' long buses! Is this possibly true? A 70' bus? We typically plan for a full size bus to be 40'+/- long. I have heard that a new 45' bus is soon to be on the market though. Any info on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Our largest school buses at work are our tandem axle 40-foot Crowns and our Blue Bird & Thomas transits. I've never seen a school bus that is over 40-feet long. We have some articulated city buses that are 60-some-feet long, but most full-sized school buses are between 35-40'. So unless they're using the city buses to take students to school, I don't think there would ever be a 70-foot long bus in that parking lot.

Go to Top of Page

UncleNeal

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  09:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School buses do not come any larger than approximately 40 feet long (give or take a few inches). However, there are tour / motorcoach buses which could be up to 45 feet long. As Buskid stated, city buses could be very long, especially if they are articulated.

Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
just think about how long 70'is. I mean, tractor trailers arent even that long. the longest single trailer I have seen ( standard size made ) is 53'. However I did hear about states upgrading standards to 45' with in the next few years, and I dont agree with it at all.

Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  10:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That is so funny...hey yea a 70 footer! hahahahaaaa!
the longest bus around is 60' and articulated. Thaose are usualy transits and some coaches.

Schoobuses are usually up to 40'. There may be 45' footers coming soon. I like my 38' just fine.

Buslady
Long Live Crown Coach Corp! Detroit Diesel rules!
Crown Coach Archive
http://crowncoach.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  11:11:47 AM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You won't find any school buses longer than 40' right now, altho they recently updated the federal standards to allow a max length of 45'. Other dimensions you may find useful are that the buses are 8' wide, and usually have an outside curb turning radius up to about 40' on a 49' conventional.

If you want to plan the site for coach buses (a good idea for field trips, even if coaches only get used once in a while), they're a bit bigger, up to 45' long and 8'6" wide, with a slightly larger turning radius (47' for an MCI 45' bus, maybe larger on other models).

—Phil

Crown, Blue Bird, Thomas, Gillig, Corbeil, Superior, Amtran...all excellent products of an excellent industry.
Go to Top of Page

Steven A.Rosenow
Top Member

USA
1926 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  2:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steven A.Rosenow's Homepage  Send Steven A.Rosenow an AOL message  Send Steven A.Rosenow a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just think about how long 70'is. I mean, tractor trailers arent even that long. the longest single trailer I have seen ( standard size made ) is 53'. However I did hear about states upgrading standards to 45' with in the next few years, and I dont agree with it at all.

I'd have to disagree Jared. Tractor-Trailer combinations can VERY WELL exceed 70 ft in length, and with triples, the estimated length on a triple trailer load (not allowed here in WA) is over 85 ft in lentgh.

My uncle owns two KW W900 log haulers and the trailer he uses when fully extended is 53 feet, and adding to that is the 20+ feet of the truck FORWARD of the trailer, making the total length longer than 70 feet. The Tacoma Narrows Bridge is 60 ft wide main cable to main cable center diameter, and I've seen tractor trailer combos jacknife closing all four lanes of it.

And I think there's no problem with 45 ft being the maximum length of school buses. If an articulated 60 ft transit can make a tight corner in downtown Seattle near the Space Needle, I think a 45 ft school bus could do the same.

And the 70 ft school bus, I remember seeing one on the old version of Old School Buses, either a Wayne or a Ward, that was 77 ft long and non-articulated. I think it was a troop transport or something.

Gillig - The "DURACELL" of School Buses. http://www.geocities.com/gilligcoaches
Go to Top of Page

Phil4747
Top Member

USA
695 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2002 :  3:37:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Phil4747 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
First, Jared meant only a single trailer, combos are obviously longer. However, when planning a driveway, you need to consider the turning radius, which is determined by the length/wheelbase of one unit, not the whole combination.

For the same reason, a 60 ft articulated bus could probably turn in a tighter circle than a 45 ft coach, b/c articulated buses are usually split up 40/20, and the widest-swinging part is the front.

Also, the 77 ft Wayne was a trailer for a tractor trailer bus, and yes, it was used to carry troops by the military.

—Phil

Crown, Blue Bird, Thomas, Gillig, Corbeil, Superior, Amtran...all excellent products of an excellent industry.
Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2002 :  1:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,I think that another really long bus was used to transport oil workers in Saudi Arabia,if I'm not mistaken. It's on the regular bus version of SBX.
Silas J.

97-12 It will outrun your bus.
Unicoi County Schools~Working For Children

Go to Top of Page

PCW

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  12:42:39 AM  Show Profile  Send PCW an AOL message  Send PCW a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I guess 45 foot school buses do exist ;) Although not technically a school bus, this mobile training suite is rather remarkable. And hey...it's an IC. Let's see Thomas of Bluebird come out with one of these. Enjoy

http://www.creativemobileinteriors.com/sections/portfolio/mobileMarketing/LaidLaw/Laidlawindex.asp

Edited by - PCW on 10/21/2008 12:44:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  01:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IC has made some 90 passenger REs in the past from what I have heard, and I believe they are 42-43 feet. IC cannot do a 40 foot 90 pass because of their excessively large entrance door, and excessively large engine compartment.

That is an impressive vehicle, I hope they had the brains to put a DT engine in that instead of Laidlaw's usual T444E! I wonder if First Student still has the bus.

Go to Top of Page

78fordwayne
Top Member

USA
2868 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  03:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit 78fordwayne's Homepage  Send 78fordwayne an AOL message  Send 78fordwayne a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
IC still offers a 90 Passenger RE over 40 feet long. For some reason IC doesn't show it on there web site, but I have seen them this past Summer.

Robert B.

Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2008 :  04:35:10 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Broward County Florida has some of the 90 passenger IC REs. They look even longer without the extended skirting!

=
Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  2:38:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting that this topic has just reappeared. Last week I was at the local outlet mall and lo and behold a 2008 or '09 IC RE (similar to the one photographed above) pulls up. Of course, as usual, I didn't have my camera. I kept staring at it thinking it was unusually long and I started to count the windows...15!! The one I saw was all white and I'm not sure if it was local or just travelling down I-95.

Ted

Go to Top of Page

Nick
Advanced Member

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  2:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Nick an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich
That is an impressive vehicle, I hope they had the brains to put a DT engine in that instead of Laidlaw's usual T444E! I wonder if First Student still has the bus.

Heh, imagine a 444 or a 365 trying to push that thing! Especially with that interior...

IC the future, and it is bright.
Go to Top of Page

busgeek++
Advanced Member

United States
253 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2008 :  4:12:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah. The 444 would do it, but slowly. Ours have always felt short on power. However, the 365s are another story (when they're running). They sprint good and fast empty, but once loaded down with people, etc. they fall flat.

Buses are not a way of life, they are life
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2023 :  08:20:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For answers to common questions about school buses, check out our FAQ! https://www.schoolbusfleet.com/school-bus-faq
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000