Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 New Driver, Thomas C2 issue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueRidge Boy2014

8 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2013 :  11:04:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueRidge Boy2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My regular bus driver, after driving the route 22 years, had an issue, and moved to another county.

We have a new driver. He is better than most "floaters" we get. The only issue is that, he seems to be deactivating the reds by flipping the door switch down? It's a 2007 Thomas C2.

He also has trouble releasing the parking brake. I know that you have to press your pedal firmly, and I think you have to wait for the safety system (crossing gate, and horn) to finish before taking off.

I know a bit about buses, and plan to drive this year, when I graduate, anyone got anything you can tell me to help?

I am new to these forums, forgive me if this is in the wrong place, or I posted something wrong.

Thank y'all.

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  1:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You're in luck, I also drive an '07 C2. Here's what I can offer from what you're describing.

The parking brake can be finicky at times. If it is adjusted too tightly, and your driver is pressing the pedal ALL the way down, it can be tough to release. (and be LOUD when it does!) He releases it with a button on the very lower left of the dash, which can be difficult to operate with large hands! If he just presses the pedal into the "resistance zone" (about 3/4 to the floor) instead of ALL the way down, it will be easier to release, and the bus will still be secure at stops. He is still using the service brake and shifting into neutral, I assume?

The door switch is supposed to deactivate the reds when the door is completely closed. If that's happening earlier, it is probably an electrical issue, or perhaps that is how buses are spec'd in your state? (In other words, maybe it is designed to work that way?) I can't help with the horn/crossing arm system, as I don't have one, and they're not required in my state (Massachusetts.) although they must be in proper working order if we do have them.

Hope this helps!

Edited by - FrankP on 09/01/2013 1:38:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRidge Boy2014

8 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  12:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueRidge Boy2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FrankP

You're in luck, I also drive an '07 C2. Here's what I can offer from what you're describing.

The parking brake can be finicky at times. If it is adjusted too tightly, and your driver is pressing the pedal ALL the way down, it can be tough to release. (and be LOUD when it does!) [bold]He releases it with a button on the very lower left of the dash, which can be difficult to operate with large hands![/bold] If he just presses the pedal into the "resistance zone" (about 3/4 to the floor) instead of ALL the way down, it will be easier to release, and the bus will still be secure at stops. He is still using the service brake and shifting into neutral, I assume?

The door switch is supposed to deactivate the reds when the door is completely closed. If that's happening earlier, it is probably an electrical issue, or perhaps that is how buses are spec'd in your state? (In other words, maybe it is designed to work that way?) I can't help with the horn/crossing arm system, as I don't have one, and they're not required in my state (Massachusetts.) although they must be in proper working order if we do have them.

Hope this helps!

UPDATE: He's doing better. The brake still makes a noise when he takes it off, but that's nothing the others don't do.

In my state, our buses have a 10 second or so "alarm" that sounds when the crossing gate is going in. On the C2's the horn beeps 5 (short) times. On the older buses a warble type "siren" plays.

Our buses all have air brakes. So I don't know exactly what you mean... (See quote)

The C2's in SC are largely effected by wiring issues... Like our pushers, in the 1995 range, they were assembled very very quickly. The pushers are wearing down. We still have 1984 and up on the roads each day. The newest buses are the C2's. The first purchase in roughly 5 years.

Thanks for the help!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000