Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Driver Pre-trips and Post-trips
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mardasarah

2 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  04:25:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit mardasarah's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone heard of DOT adding the checking of the battery box to our pre-trips and post-trips? Our director has decided to have us do this as a measure to counter terrorism. However, the mechanics and the bus washer do not do this when they take our buses to work on. We have not been given any hands-on training but saw a video at this year's refresher. Our drivers are quite upset because of the possible dangers of leaks of sulfuric acid and lead, and/or an explosion. We have not been given any safety equipment, such as safety glasses and gloves, nor have we been told what to look for! Drivers haven't a clue about the dangers of sulfuric acid and what to do if they get it on them. Our school district is not making this an official policy. Plus, we are not sure what our director hopes to accomplish as there are several security issues which should be addressed: the bus parking lot is open from 6 am to 5 pm, allowing anyone access to our buses throughout the day; there are no surveillance cameras; insufficient lighting, and the bottom of the fence allows people to slip under into the lot. Our union is fighting this decision as the possible injuries to our drivers far outweigh any benefits. We understand that school buses are terrorists' targets; however, any plan to combat this should be well thought out with proper driver training to keep our drivers safe. I appreciate any thoughts and/or concerns you may have.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  07:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before I got to the part about your union I thought "boy this sounds like a union job". At any rate, The USDOT has nothing to do (directly) with your pre-trip. However, your state sets the parameters. In our state it is up to the district to set up the parameters on the pre-trip with a set of minimum requirements from the state.

As for acid or whatever, lol ha ha ha!! All we require our drivers to do is open the door. This makes sure the cables and or battery is not loose. I guess in this day & age it would make sure nothing is stuffed in there, although I can't see how anything can be stuffed in there (no room).

The long and the short of it is, just do it and go on. It won't add 5 seconds to your pre-trip time and you're not going to die.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2013 :  12:42:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Opening the door to check the condition of the batteries and cables and to ensure nothing is in there that shouldn't be in there is not a big deal. I've been training drivers to do this for years. Most professional drivers would do this on their own without prompting.

If this is the biggest problem your union has to address, you're in great shape! Just do the check and be glad everyone is that safety focused.
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2013 :  5:25:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Another option would to keep the battery box doors locked. The chances of someone opening it to put in something like an explosive device would be infinitesimal.

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

FrankP

53 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  2:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit FrankP's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It's been part of the pretrip in Mass. for as long as I can remember. Open door, look for leaks, cracks, corrosion, foreign objects, close door. What's the big deal? Safety glasses and gloves aren't needed because you're only touching the door.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2013 :  3:50:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was taught the correct pre-trip procedure, which is what I do every time I take the bus out. The place I work told me not to open the battery door, but I still do. They do not require the brakes be pumped down the static brake check either. However that is how I do it... Do what is right to keep your equipment in working order, and your students safe.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Edited by - bluebirdvision on 09/09/2013 4:07:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2013 :  05:24:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bluebirdvision

I was taught the correct pre-trip procedure, which is what I do every time I take the bus out. The place I work told me not to open the battery door, but I still do. They do not require the brakes be pumped down the static brake check either. However that is how I do it... Do what is right to keep your equipment in working order, and your students safe.

You know, when you think about student safety all this other garbage seems to get so small in comparison. Thanks for this post!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000