Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 Complicated situation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

8415nosleepingkidsonthebus

5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  5:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit 8415nosleepingkidsonthebus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been driving a school bus for four years without any major issues. I mad a bad judgement call and now me and my manager are in a sticky situation. I was driving the delivery truck after my morning run with the school bus today. Its kind of a tall cargo type truck its not real big, but its kind of the size of a U Haul truck. So I am stopped at a Dunkin Donuts for a sandwich because I was hungry. The parking was full so I thought well I can go through the drive through. I see the watch your head clearence sign and I thought I was going to be slick and go around it because there was room to do that because it was next to a car wash. I place my order pull up to the window to pay and all I hear is the sound of crunching metal. I took a second or two for me to realize what had happened. There was a roof over the drive through and the truck was too tall and it hit it. The cashier didn't seem to care, in fact she said I could just leave. I thought to myself hold on here let me talk to your manager. So the manager asked me did you hit it, I said yes. He came out and took pictures of the damage that was really minimal. I gave him my name and number my managers name and number, and the name of the company. I asked him if this would go on my driving record he said no because the police are not involved. He then went on to say he will call his insurance company and they will give my manager a call. So at that point I thought well this will be resolved, and I drove back to my company with the intent to talk to my manager about everything that happened right away. I get back there and wasn't sure if my manager was in the building so I txt him saying I need to talk with him in privite. So I run into my manager and he says I need to talk to you, at that point I knew he had already found out some how. So my manager that I will refer to as Stan tells me that the company got a call from someone about an accident and there was a police report. Stan also tells me that the dunkin donuts guy claims I gave him false contact info. Now I verbaly gave him the info while he wrote it down. So he must of wrote down the number wrong and when he called that number someone else answered the phone. So at that point he must of been thinking I was trying to lie to him, so my employer wont find out. Stan freaked out and he honestly didn't know who to believe. So there is this big long discution between me and stan. At the end he tells me dont worry go do your pm bus route and we will sort this out later so to say. I get back from my route and Stan finds out that the police put his name down on the accident report, as if he was the driver. So now there are two situations. Number one Stan needs to get his name cleared, because he wasn't the one driving the truck. Two the police might come after me and suspend my cdl licensce leaving me out of a job. They might say I left the scene of an accident. There was no cars or people involved. Information was exchanged on my part anyways. So now me and my manager have to go to the police station tomorrow to hopefully sort this mess out for all of us. I don't know what is going to happen. I will keep this forum posted. I can tell you this, I won't drive a truck through a drive through again, that's for sure!

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  7:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow, sure is a mess.... I don't know whether to be mad at the manager for lying about police not being involved, or to laugh at the mistakes such as Stan being on the accident report and you disregarding the clearance sign in the first place (isn't that what it's for?!). LOL But anyway... hope you can get that sorted out and leave the ordeal with money and a job! Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Trailboss

United States
196 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  05:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't want to be to hard on you because we all lear from our mistakes. We have an under pass that is clearly marked from way back that the height is 12 feet 4 inches guess what about once a month a 13 foot trailer tries to go under it and gets stuck. Just do what you have to do to get it worked out. If you were from our area the manager probably could not hardly speak english little lone write it down.
Go to Top of Page

8415nosleepingkidsonthebus

5 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  4:11:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit 8415nosleepingkidsonthebus's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input. It was a stupid rookie mistake that I wont make again. That was my first accident in three years, so im' kind of bummed that it happened. At least it wasn't involving a moving vehicle and no one was hurt. I went to the police station today to ask a ton of questions. The officer I spoke with assured me that it was not a hit and run, because I left my name and number. She said nothing is going to be on my record and that I am just worrying for nothing. She also said as long as Dunkin Donuts doesn't file a claim against the agency that no one will get in any legal trouble. All I have to do is go back to the police station with Stan my manager to change the name on the police report. It sounds like these police have better things to do then try to investigate every single incident, that will only give them a pile of paper work. So we are currently resolving the issue with dunkin donuts, we are just waiting for an esstiment from them so we can give them a check. It looks like things are going to work out fine. And my manager calmed down today and was very forgiving to me about the accident. I will post if anything else evolves of this.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000